1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

33 weeks pregnant and just diagnosed, confused

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by sunny1986, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sunny1986

sunny1986 Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm glad I stumbled across this website. I am so confused about this diagnosis. I really never saw it coming. I found out in February that I am pregnant. Well in May I started having some really bad genital symptoms I was sure was a yeast infection. Mainly I was really itchy and had some really thick white discharge. After that cleared up, I stayed pretty irritated down there. Everytime me and my husband had sex, I burned for like thirty minutes afterwards. I started to develop these tears from wiping. I thought the PH balance was off due to pregnancy. Well, recently I developed an ulcer near the vagina and several bumps I thought were razor burn along my hairline. I went to the doc yeasterday and she took a culture and did bloodwork, but she told me she is pretty sure it is herpes. She prescribed 3 days worth of valtrex. Today, I developed a cold sore. I have had those off and on for years, but never genital herpes. More than anything, I am trying to figure out when I got them. My and my husband have been married for 2 years and he is the only person I have had sex with. Before we got together, he told me he had genital warts that were brought on by stress, but he hadn't had an outbreak in a while. I have no reason to suspect he has cheated on me, and he has never shown any signs of an outbreak. We are intimate at least 4 times a week, so I would have noticed. Maybe I am being naive, but I do trust him, and I asked him flat out if he cheated and he said Im the only woman he's been with since 2007. This is my second child, and I had no similar symptoms when I was pregnant with my first, so why would it show up on this one? Is it possible I had it all along and just now noticed. Could my husband have been wrongly diagnosed with warts that were really herpes? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am really worried about my unborn child and just want to figure out how long I have had this.
  2. TattoosandSass

TattoosandSass Active Member

All of the scenarios you listed could be true, you could have had it for awhile and not known but if your husband is the only man you've ever done anything sexual with than I would say it's definitely him that gave it to you.

But if you've receieved oral sex from other partners before you were married, you could have gotten genital herpes this way as well. Anyone that has oral HSV-1 can transmit HSV-1 genitally even if they don't have any cold sores present on their mouth/lips.

I also think it's possible that your husband was misdiagnosed although genital warts and genital herpes don't look alike, being on this forum though, you'll see, the medical profession when it comes to diagnosing herpes and other STD's aren't exactly the best at it.

When you get your results back, you should know what type of herpes, HSV-1 or HSV-2 you have down there. That will help you read up on the information on the right as to treating it, outbreaks, etc. If it's HSV-1 on your genitals, you can probably be sure that somewhere down the line, someone that had oral HSV-1 gave it to you by giving you oral although you can contract it from someone that also has HSV-1 genitally as well.
  3. Tandy

Tandy No longer a member

My husband gave me GHSV 1 after 28 years of marriage. He has never, ever had any symptoms at all. It can lay dormant for a very long time. I don't know what caused me to contract it after all these years. I'm thinking it is because I am going through menopause. Maybe the horomone change in you made it come out.
  4. Denise 07

Denise 07 Active Member

I've been with my husband for 21 yrs and married 14 out of the 21 yrs together. I just had my first outbreak last November with ghsv-1. It came out of the blue. I had what started like a uti burning when I would urinate than a day later the blister popped up all over. So yeah you're not alone with having this just show up out of the blue. It can lay dormant for awhile and than just pop up.