1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

HSV 1 and 2 Am i Supposed to have outbreaks?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Trying2bePositive, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Trying2bePositive

Trying2bePositive Newbie

Hi,

I recently got tested and unfortunately i am HSV-1 positive, HSV-2 negative, the test was on Jan 08 2013. I dont know where my 'infection' is located at.

i've done some research and found out that there are no test to pinpoint when the infection was transmitted. but i'm still curious.

"IF" i recently have gotten infected, am i supposed to have an outbreak? I've had some tingling feeling in my groin area, but not the genitals itself (HOWEVER, it may just be because i'm now overly self aware of everything that happens to my body).

if i am supposed to have an outbreak during the initial transmission, and no outbreak occurred... does that mean i've had HSV-1 a long time ago?

ThankS!
  2. Trying2bePositive

Trying2bePositive Newbie

Also, i've never remembered any outbreak before.
  3. goddess8

goddess8 Member

If you tested positive for HSV-1 and have never had an outbreak in either location I would make the assumption that it is oral because it usually is. I think it would be erring way too far on the side of caution to think it is genital without any evidence to support it. 80% of the population is HSV-1 positive, and most of it is still oral, although the incidences of genital are increasing.

Some doctors say that the risk of transmission of genital HSV-1 is so slim that one does not even need to disclose. I am not so sure about not disclosing if you know for sure you have it. But you don't know you have it genitally.

There is a very good chance that you have HSV-1 orally, commonly known as cold sores, and you appear to be totally asymptomatic.

If you want to tell people that you have HSV-1 before you kiss them you can, but a lot of people don't, and I am not so sure it is necessary.
  4. lulusparkles

lulusparkles Member

Hey,
    Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you are trying to find out more about hsv- this has been a great source of support & information for me.
    By the sounds of things u have oral hsv1 aka coldsores. In the absence of any genital symptoms I think this is the more likely of the 2 scenarios.

Tc xx
  5. cupcakes12

cupcakes12 Staff Member Moderator

Most people contract hsv1 when they are kids. Some people breakout with cold sores others do not. 80% of the adult population has it. It's extremely common.
  6. Trying2bePositive

Trying2bePositive Newbie

What evidence would it have to be, to be genital HSV-1?
  7. Cymenthy

Cymenthy Active Member

I never had a cold sore, and have HSV-1 genitally. It was transmitted by oral sex, so if you had oral sex and your partner has ever had a cold sore, you probably have HSV-1 genitally.
  8. goddess8

goddess8 Member

Sores on your genitals would be pretty good evidence in my opinion.
  9. Trying2bePositive

Trying2bePositive Newbie

how did you know you initially you have HSV-1 genitally? since you've also never had a cold sore.