1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

aspirin for suppression?

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by ntdc, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

Anyone tried aspirin daily for suppression of HSV (either with or without other medications), if so how much
    did you try , was it effective?
  2. fullofhope27

fullofhope27 Member

I take 81mg daily as prescribed by a cardiologist but haven't heard of it as a suppressive medication. I also take acyclovir daily so I wouldn't know if it helps. I'm sure 81mg is too small to really do much good for something like that. I am interested to hear any other experiences or see some research on it!
  3. regret

regret Well-Known Member

asprin cant be used as suppressive medication for herpes, and it does nothing for decreasing chances of transmission of the virus to others, vlatrex or acylivor are the best options for suppression
  4. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

Actually it's not true, its being studied currently in combination with valtrex to determine if it reduces viral shedding, after success in animal trials. http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/show/NCT00587496

It was first reported by some doctors in 1998 http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/8/696-b http://www.herpes.org.uk/aspirin.pdf

Acyclovir does not work well for me as I've posted some times on here. So I am checking into alternate therapies.

I would not recommend forgoing antiviral therapy for aspirin if it is working for someone, obviously.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  5. GntiNh

GntiNh Staff Member

• Super Moderator
    What other alternate therapies have you tried ?
  6. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

Spirulina ( green algae) - supposed anti-hsv acitivity and immune stimulating activity. Didn't continue long enough to see if it was working gave me bad stomach upset , may interact with anti-viral meds.

Garlic - no noticeable improvement. Smelled like garlic constantly.

Vitamin C Supplementation - 2,000mg a day no noticeable effect, improved energy level

Zinc supplementation - No noticeable improvement

Lysine - caused bloating , gas , stomach aches, no noticeable improvement but i didnt take it more than 2wks at the most.

Iron supplementation - Probably did not take enough to make a difference but changed to a multivitamin with iron, heard it can be dangerous to supplement with iron for no reason so I did not take any additional supp. No noticeable improvement

I also considered trying Tagamet (cimetadine, a heartburn drug) but I was concerned it can interact with the antiviral drugs. I have read several people claim it stops working after 1 month anyway.
  7. GntiNh

GntiNh Staff Member

• Super Moderator
    Have you considered homopathic treatments?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

1. The brand I used was an 'odorless' brand, i cant imagine how bad a regular brand would smell. My breath REEKED of garlic pretty much constantly.

2. Lysine brand is "Nature's Bounty" , other ingredients are cellulose, croscarmellose, cellulose coating, silica, titanium, dioxide color, vegetable magnesium stearate. Didn't think it would make much of a difference from brand to brand. the pharmacy sells this and generic both seems to contain the same thing AFAIK.

3. No. I believe everyone should be entitled to pursue whichever treatment they believe works for them. For me I do not believe there is any credible evidence of the efficacy of homeopathy beyond that of placebo and the principles and practices contradict basic principles of medicine and biology.
  9. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

Oh I've also been using a device from germany called a "herpotherm" I haven't been using it long enough to make a judgement, yet.
  10. aliveandok

aliveandok Member

The prescriptions did not seem to work on me either. The doctor tried both Valtrex 500, Valtrex 1 G and Famvir. My body seemed to get used to Valtrex over the years so now I do not take them daily - only when I need them.

Also did not get any obvious results from all the vitamins.

I've had the best luck with being Alkaline (lemon water) and daily TOPICAL Zinc. For your eye - maybe zinc eye drops.

Tegament is used as a "bump upper" for any 'script. Drug addicts figured out that their high would last longer if they shut off acid production in the stomach. The interaction is right on the label. I've used the combo only when I REALLY need it not day to day along with my Valtrex.
  11. andli

andli Active Member