1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Can Herpes pass through blood? or only skin to skin?

Discussion in 'About My Outbreaks' started by Sadbb, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Sadbb

Sadbb Active Member

Just curious. Wondering if it can be pass through blood. Can we donate blood to other people?
  2. beachday

beachday Active Member

I have donated blood and I told them that I had Herpes. The only thing they said (and they told me they researched it and got back to me) was not to donate while having an OB.

They've called me to donate again so it is ok.
  3. Sadbb

Sadbb Active Member

Thanks Beachday!
  4. livelaughlove

livelaughlove Active Member

u can donate blood. i called the local blood donation center and they said that they check for syphillis, hiv and hepatitus c. they said that hsv is not considered life threatening so they don't check for that. they did not say don't donate if u have an ob-though i didn't ask that question. i'm not quite sure why having an ob would affect ur ability to give blood. if ur having an ob down south--how is drawing blood from ur arm going to affect anything? u already have antibodies in ur blood with or wo/ an ob--its not like ur cootie level is up and ur going to infect someone via blood. imo, that just kind of sounds like societal paranoia. though i could be wrong, it happens some times!
  5. regret

regret Well-Known Member

you cant get hsv through blood semen.etc...
  6. Icarus

Icarus Newbie

I'd be willing to guess that they don't recommend donating during an OB because your immune levels are a little compromised and loosing blood can take a lot out of you. Its really for your own cause.
  7. lala

lala Active Member

Yes you can, but it's not advised to donate during an outbreak and especially not during a Primary outbreak.
  8. Sadbb

Sadbb Active Member

Thanks everyone. I learn something new everyday :D