1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Can I still do in vitro fertilization?

Discussion in 'Fertility, Childbirth & Pregnancy with Herpes' started by Wantababy, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Wantababy

Wantababy Newbie

My husband and I both have genital herpes. He has officially been diagnosed, but I have not. I am starting on my 3rd round of in vitro fertilization to become pregnant. Will having herpes cause me problems with this? I am not having an outbreak right now and neither is he. My dr. does not know that I have it, as it would be kind of hard to explain why we did not have herpes one year ago when we had our last in vitro cycle, but we do now. Long story, but I just don't want to tell him. Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. hsvmom

hsvmom Member

No, HSV will not prevent you from having a successful IVF cycle. Definately let your doctor know, though. I assume your RE won't be the doc who provides your prenatal care, but I still think it is important to share the information. I wouldn't hesitate to tell the RE because your RE 1) probably won't ask how you got it, 2) probably won't care how you got it, 3) probably doesn't know that you didn't have it during your last cycle, 4) probably wouldn't be surprised by any story you shared even if you did tell him, and 5) might even explain that you may have had it all along without being aware of it.

My old RE doesn't have any idea about whether or not I had hsv during our last attempt at conceiving and wouldn't bat an eyelash if I went in there today and told her I do. Don't let that worry you at all.

So this is your 3rd attempt at IVF? Are you doing a fresh cycle or an FET? was your last cycle an FET? Just wondering.
  3. Wantababy

Wantababy Newbie

It's just so embarassing, you know? I know I didn't have it last time I cycled, but I know you are right - that he would not judge me or tell anyone. I just keep telling my husband that I just can't bear the thought of telling him. I know so many people have it, and if I do get pg, I will definitely tell my dr. IF I ever get pregnant! Did you do ivf? Yes, this is my 3rd. All cycles have been fresh cycles, b/c I never have enough embryos to freeze. My issue is slightly "iffy" eggs but no elevated fsh, so my RE doesn't really know what the heck is going on. I did get pregnant once a year and a half ago (all on my own), but miscarried at 10 weeks. I have done countless treatments, and spent many thousands of dollars. It just makes me think, well, I want this so bad, but went out and got herpes, so maybe I don't even deserve a child. I know that's not the case, but I've made mistakes. After each failed cycle, I kind of go a little wild and just can't deal with the pain, so I end up drinking a lot... Anyway, I'm going on and on, and I'm sorry. Thank you for your answer. I would love to hear your story.
  4. hsvmom

hsvmom Member

No, I didn't do IVF. I did an IVF meds protocol in conjunction with IUI. I either stim all the way or not at all. When I got pregnant with my boys, I had 12 mature (18+mm) follies and I conceived quads. I lost two and had a very very complicated pregnancy with my remaining twins. We are tenatively planning to do IVF next year b/c it gives us more control and lowers our risk of high order multiples.

I understand that it can be embaressing, but really you should tell him. It certainly won't do you any harm at all and when you do get pregnant, he'll be able to point you to a great doctor to deliver you. Just my two cents there.

So your FSH wasn't elevated? Mine's never been elevated. I don't produce enough FSH and LH on my own so I couldn't stim on my own.

Best of luck to you. I know that failed cycles can be devestating :( It is most definately worth every step of that long long journey though!
  5. package deal

package deal VIP Member

I wish you great luck with your attempts at IVF. I hope in 9 months you have your baby. No it wont interfear with ivf but once your pregnantant you need to tell your doc . That very improtant