1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Can your cold sore become genital herpes?

Discussion in 'About My Outbreaks' started by ronsmith, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ronsmith

ronsmith Newbie

Is there anyway that your cold sore outbreak can become genital herpes (like if you touched your cold sore and then touched your penis).

Also more importantly, HOW LIKELY is this to happen?

I've tried to not touch the sore and then other parts of my body, but I can't be 100% sure that I never touched the cold sore and then my genitals so I'm worried about my HSV1 becoming HSV2.

Thanks for the answers
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. lostaboy

lostaboy Newbie

HSV1 cannot become HSV2. You can have genital HSV1. If you have had the virus for a while, like a year, the chances of you transferring it from your mouth to your genitals is very small. That being said, if you are having an OB, it is still not good practice to touch your face and then touch your genitals.
  3. GalaxyGirl

GalaxyGirl Newbie

I'm not sure how accurate his reply is.

My Dr did tell me that if someone with a cold sore were to perform oral sex on a partner they could develop genital herpes?

But most likely since you have cold sores your body is already immune to developing genital herpes from the same virus you already have, know what I mean?
  4. totalregret

totalregret Active Member

yes, your cold sore can become genital herpes but the type does not change. so if the cold sore is hsv 1 then the genital herpes would be hsv 1 as well.
  5. totalregret

totalregret Active Member

but, if u have had the virus for awhile it provides significant protection against getting the same virus in another location.