1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Did I contract herpes from sharing someones glass?

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by Wondering1, May 17, 2010.

1. Wondering1

Wondering1 Newbie

About 2 weeks ago I accidentally drank out of someones glass who had cold sores on her mouth. About 2 days ago I developed what I thought to be a pimple right under my lip. Now the entire side of my lip is red, painful and swollen and there is a tiny bump that looks like a pimple. Could it be herpes? If so, could it be either HSV 1 or 2? Should I bother going to the doctor or should I assume that it was just a pimple if it doesnt become more blister looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
  2. Denise 07

Denise 07 Active Member

If it is herpes you would need to wait at least 3 months before getting a blood test because it can take that long to develop antibodies for the virus. If your sore is still there you can have a swab test done on it to see if it is herpes or not. Did you try popping the sore? If pus comes out than it's a zit but if it's clear and if you apply something to and it burns that's a sure sign of it being a cold sore than a pimple. Also if it bleeds it's a pimple because cold sores don't bleed. As for drinking after someone that get's cold sores, I think it's possible you could get the virus considering they had an actual outbreak at the time.
  3. Wondering1

Wondering1 Newbie

Thanks so much for the information! The thing is, its not exactly a sore. There is a tiny pimple looking thing and my lip surrounding it is swollen, painful and sort of tingling.