1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Do I have HSV1 or HSV2? Do they look/feel different genitally?

Discussion in 'Herpes Tests and Diagnosis' started by glassofwine, Apr 16, 2012.

1. glassofwine

glassofwine Member

I got diagnosed today with HSV with the IgM test, which I know has it's problems and can be inaccurate. I know it doesn't necessarily mean I have HSV 2 (it could also be HSV 1 oral or genital), and won't know for sure until I get the IgG test in 2 months.

I do however have some genital symptoms that make me believe I do in fact have some strain of herpes genitally. I have pain in my inner thigh, perineum, inner buttocks and outer labia. However, I have not been able to identify blisters, and my doctor couldn't either. I have my suspicions, but I don't know if I'm just looking at bumps that are part of my normal skin.

So my question is: Does genital HSV1 feel/look different than HSV 2? I just want to know because I know if you have HSV1 genitally it's not as intense and contagious....
  2. in2theblue

in2theblue Active Member

I have hsv1 genitally... In my experience I have had 1 outbreak in 6 months.. My jest OB was horrific worst pain ever.. My doctor said my next could be in 2 yrs 10 yrs or never.. It really depends on the person and the immune system.
    From my knowledge: Hsv1 oral prefers to be on the face therefore hsv1 is more frequent ob's when oral... Hsv2 prefers to be genital, therefore more frequent ob's genitally... When switched vise versa hsv1 genital and hsv 2 oral,, the OBs are not at frequent but I am thinking they r the same thing (cold sores/ blisters/ abdominal and thigh pain etc) the 1 and 2 just say where they came from... It's not like if I have hsv1 genitally and sleep with someone else with hsv1 genitally that I will get MORE herpes lol.. As far as I know hsv2 seems to have more frequent OBs which in turn sores take longer to heal and may seem like the ob's last longer or are more intense. As for hsv1 genital not being easily spread... It definitely isnt as easy but that is only because with less frequent OBs u have less sores and shedding is decreased. It is still spread through oral sex though and as someone with hsv1 genital i would still take proper precautions. Hope this helps ... This site was awesome for info on the types and transmittable rates.. Check it out
    http://www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101/
  3. Countrygirl84

Countrygirl84 Newbie

From my understanding, HSV2 is supposed to cause more severe genital outbreaks than HSV1 genital. However, everyone is different and herpes is a tricky virus. There is no way to tell just by looking at an outbreak (or in your case, feeling it) if a person has HSV1 or 2. What made you get a IgM test in the first place?

Until you get your IgG test, there is no way to know if you have herpes or not. I would abstain from sex until you get your test, and try not to stress.