1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Do sores always hurt?

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by iwillsurvive, Nov 7, 2008.

1. iwillsurvive

iwillsurvive Newbie

I was diagnosed with genital herpes in July. My first outbreak was quit painful and lasted several weeks (my GP didn't believe it was an STD). Since then, I've had two mild outbreaks that were accompanied by mild fatigue and a few red bumps. They were gone in a week. I've been coping pretty well, and haven't allowed this to beat me down. I take lysine everyday, but I drink coffee so I haven't adjusted my diet completely.

This past week I developed a nasty sore on my thumb that I believe to be herpes whitlow. This sore actually looks worse than my first genital outbreak. Since the sore appeared, I've been very careful not to touch my face. I can cope with having genital herpes, but I think having an oral outbreak would send me over the edge. So my question is, today I noticed a small white bump just above my upper lip. I must have popped it while washing my face and now it's just a red mark. It doesn't hurt at all so I am wondering if it was just a pimple. Could someone who has experience with cold sores tell me if they always hurt?

Thank you. :)