1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

Dr. Oz addresses Cold Sores

Discussion in 'Coping with Outbreaks in Every Day Life' started by Harley1986, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Harley1986

Harley1986 Active Member

There was a lady on Dr. Oz today talking about getting cold sores on her lips about every couple months. Said it is brought on by stress or the sun. So, Dr. Oz asked what her symptoms are before she actually gets the cold sore, and she says.. tingling. He proceeds to say, "if you have tingling, stop the mingling". Then tells her to use Abreva or take 1000 mg of Lysine per day for prevention. I guess what bothered me about it was he never once said the word Herpes, HSV 1 or HSV 2 or talked about the transmission of it etc..... wow, that was an eye opener. No one, not even a doctor wants to say the word "Herpes". This is exactly why everyone is embarrassed to have Herpes. I have had HSV2 for 13 years.
  2. Number7

Number7 Well-Known Member

On the Anderson Cooper show today they had a guy that had a website where people go on and make accusations of people they know having herpes or hiv. He started this because he was "betrayed" by a woman with herpes who did not disclose. There were women on there that said they didn't have it and were wrongly portrayed on his website----not once did he say how many people actually have this virus --- the whole attitude of this disgusts me -- people using this supposedly common virus to attack other people and make people with it feel like they have to hide even more.

I really wish Dr. Oz would do a show (or better yet---several shows) educating people on this virus
  3. Harley1986

Harley1986 Active Member

I agree. It is so sad that this is happening in our society. I live in my home town at this time and it's a small town, but I moved away for awhile to larger cities, now that I am back in my home town, I won't date anyone local for the fear of having to tell them I have HSV2. It woudl worry me too much that it would spread like wildfire around the town and I would wear the Scarlet Letter from here on out. I don't know any way to change the attitude people have towards herpes. It disgusts me also. I think if it wasn't for the stigma our society places on those with herpes, including the medical community, I wouldn't be so ashamed to have it.
  4. Number7

Number7 Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed of having it as much as I am angry at myself for not educating myself and using protection. I am disgusted that we can put men on the moon and have all the technical advances in this world (where some do more harm than good) and they can't fork up the money and use the same intelligence for aggressively researching a disease that affects intimacy for so many of us.

I strongly believe from my own personal experience and what I've read in the medical journals about blood testing that there are way more people in this world that have this than anyone really knows. I do believe that all things happen for a reason I just haven't figured out the "good" in the reason.