1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Epsom Salt in the bath tub.

Discussion in 'Personal Experience with Herpes' started by alwaysalone, Jan 7, 2008.

1. alwaysalone

alwaysalone Active Member

I am a very paranoid person when it comes to handling my soars. Last night I did the salt bath tub trick and it was nice. Warm water and 2 cups of epsom salt and I was good to go. I had also just worked out so it was pretty relaxing. I soaked for a good half hour I think. When you do it call a buddy and chat while you sit there to kill time or read a book.

Today I feel great. My soar is not so bothersome and even my muscles feel good. It's a little itchy, but I'll take that over pain any day! Anyways it didn't hurt at all and I think it works great. I don't have insurance so these kinda things are the only things I have. ( valtrex is too much money).

Hope this helps.
    AA
  2. austintxee

austintxee Member

Thanks for the advice... I have used it, too and it works well. It seems to dry them up a bit so there isn't as much pain and they heal faster!
  3. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

I'm glad the epsom salts helped you! I had to laugh when you said to call a friend or read while soaking, because I often use soaking time to talk on the phone. When my friends hear the water they ask me if I'm in my office? (our lil joke) :lol:

I bought a really large glass jar and filled it with epsom salts, and to make it look artsy in my bathroom I put a couple of glass floats and sea shells in the jar.
  4. VVK

VVK Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why epsom salts help so much. Is it because they clean the area and disable bacteria on the sores, thus preventing secondary infection?
  5. ski junkie

ski junkie Newbie

I love salt baths too

It is because the salt drys them out. I have always been a fan of long soaks, and how they revive and transform my spirit. Now they do dubble duty by calming me and drying up my sores. Also if you have an outbreak coming on it can stave it off.
  6. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

Epsom salts draw out toxins from the body...and at the same time they replenish the body with magnesium. Part of the reason your body feels relaxed is from the magnesium soaking into your muscles and tissues.
  7. Caliope

Caliope Well-Known Member

Shayna I like your idea of the big jar full of Epsom Salts with the shells and such added. I just may copy your idea.

I use Epsom Salts baths regularly for both muscle aches and to get rid of minor hsv symptoms.

Magnesium has many benefits and it is not the easiest of minerals to get from our diets or from supplements. The supplements tend to be large and uncomfortable to swallow. You can absorb it through the bath water as long as you use it alone and don't have soap to interfere with absorption. Note: deficiencies of magnesium can lead to some pretty significant health problems.

Years ago I was bitten by a cat and soaking my hand in warm Epsom Salt water stopped the pain immediately and kept it from getting infected.

People with Diabetes should not soak in Epsom Salts without first consulting their dr.
  8. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

Hey Caliope,
    Please do ;) ...I think you'll like the look! Target and Pier One's have great jars to choose from.

I had no idea about epsom salts and diabetes! Thank you for that information! My sister is very ill with diabetes and I will make sure she is aware of that.