1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Foods and Herpes, what is good, what is not?

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by hiding, Jul 23, 2006.

1. hiding

hiding Member

I don't really know what is good/bad food for herpes but I heard Chocolate and Peanuts are bad and so is anything with arginine.

and I just read this:
    Arginine can be found in any protein containing foods such as meat, poultry, dairy products, fish, etc. Foods high in arginine include chocolate, peanuts and walnuts.

Thats everything with protein in it.. I'm trying to build some weight and muscle but I also want to do whatever I can to aviod outbreaks.
    Maybe if I just aviod peanuts,walnuts, and chocolate I'll be fine? Because I really can't go without meat and diary products.

'm going to do some research but in the meanwhile I would like some help from you herpes knowledged people out there. Will foods differ for HSV1 and 2?

Let's make this a useful thread that becomes a sticky!
  2. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Newbie

You can find a good list of Arginine high, and Lysine high, foods at:
    http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml
    Note that the top of the list contains the low Argine foods, so the closer to the top the better for you, the closer to the bottom you get, the worse it is for Herpes (alledgedly).
    You can see from this that cheese and milk products are low in Arigine, and that most meats are not too high either.
    The worst offenders shown for high argine are, highest first:
    Walnuts
    Hazelnuts
    Orange juice (shame, I used to love fresh orange juice....)
    Various other nutes & grape juice....the list goes on
    Wheat doesn't look good and many of us eat a lot of wheat in our breakfast cerial, bread & pasta.

I have vastly reduced my intake of nuts & wheat for the past year when I first read about Lysine/Arginine. Also, unrelated I think to this subject directly, have vastly reduced my sugar, caffeine and cola intake. All this seemes to have reduced outbreaks considerably.

I also take 2 Red Marine Algae tablets daily, a multivitamin, 1000mg Vit C & a Zinc tablet.

Have read today that half an asprin per day may help too, may as well hop onto this regime as well now!

The other key, that is common knowledge, is avoiding stress and 'over doing' it (ie, not sleeping enough, drinking too much alcohol etc). Up until recently my job involved a lot of international travel, resulting in some underlying stress (catching flights etc) and lots of late nights living it up, drinking, early mornings etc. My new job involves far less of these activities, and my outbreaks are again further reduced.
  3. annashep

annashep Newbie

what about foods not on list?

Hi.
    I've been trying to tailor my diet to have more lysine in it and eat more foods now that are at the top of the list, but what about those not on the list at all? Like Ryvita, Wraps, Fruit Tea... I eat a lot of these things! Anyone know? And alcohol? What type is best? Or worst?

Any advice welcome