1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.
  1. loey897

loey897 Newbie

I asked my dr to put me on suppressive valtrex treatment yesterday, and she agreed to. I went to get my Rx and noticed afterwards that I was given the generic valrex (valacyclovir) and i got really nervous. I know that most pharmacies will give out generics for 99% of drugs unless specifically asked by your dr, but this one made me nervous. Does it make a difference? Is the generic not as effective?
  2. Jackspiderman

Jackspiderman Active Member

I've yet to have an OB since I was put on generics and its been almost 6 months.
  3. Kitty123

Kitty123 Well-Known Member

• VIP Supporter
    It really does depend. I went to my doctors 5 (yes count....5) times while on generics complaining of constant crawlies itchies and I couldn't catch a break. When I went on Valtrex - it all stopped....but, it stopped because the virus CHOSE to. Not because of the Valtrex, but it DOES help alot. Being on anti-virals doesn't always necessarily mean that it will STOP the outbreaks completely....you MAY still get them, just not as severe! Especially if the virus is still new in your body. I've only had it for a year, and I get monthly OB's -except with no sores. Just monthly irritation similar to my initial OB. That's how I know I'm having a small OB. When it feels like 'liquid fire' (discharge)- but not so painful LOL

It works differently for everyone. The generic vs. the name brand are essentially the same amount of medicine in each pill, just different 'filler'. But no difference in the administration of medication.
  4. loey897

loey897 Newbie

thank you :D
  5. RememberToSmile

RememberToSmile Member

I'm on the generic and it works GREAT for me. As soon as I started taking it, my blisters healed up and were gone in 48 hours-and I have yet to have another OB since I started it. It's about 200000 times cheaper, so my advice to you is to try it-if you can't feel a difference after a week or two, just call your pharmacy and tell them you need a refill but with the brand name of Valtrex and NOT the generic. But I hope the cheaper generic works for you too :)
  6. goldendawn

goldendawn Active Member

Generic works fine for me too.
  7. jyears

jyears Newbie

Generic works fine. I been buying it online at this site without a prescription Trustworthypills.com and it definitely stopped my outbreaks.
  8. Sarah331

Sarah331 Newbie

9. Boogie123

Boogie123 Member

10. threwthegame

threwthegame Well-Known Member

• VIP Supporter
    In my personal experience the brand name medication worked a lot more efficiently than the generic, with better efficacy and requiring a smaller dosage. The generic I tried was manufactured by Apotex.
  11. hate the h

hate the h Active Member

12. Boogie123

Boogie123 Member

I have ordered from them several times without a problem.
  13. hate the h

hate the h Active Member

Hm, no problems, do you live in the US? Just read lots of complaints of fraud, bad batch of meds and no delivery.

Wonder if anyone else has had any good luck with them.
  14. Boogie123

Boogie123 Member

Yes, I live in the Washington DC area, and I have ordered several times with no problems. My last order was in January, and I received it in 2 weeks. They even call to follow up after they confirm the order was delivered.
  15. Tauriel

Tauriel Member

I had no issues with the generic brand - at first. No OB for almost a year, then all of a sudden back to back. Manufacturer was Ranbaxy. They were in the media a few months ago and around that time ai started to have issues. I heard that generics can cause issues and may be less effective in some cases. Now I'm giving the name brand a try. Fingers crossed.
  16. Acesheart

Acesheart HC Support Provider

I have used Valacyclovir (generic Valtrex) and have never had an issue. I have used Acyclovir, Valtrex Brand Name and Zorvirax Ointment and latest was Valacyclovir Pills 500mg and all did its job at suppressing the virus. I have had ghsv2 for 26 yrs so far and I stay with only two outbreaks ever and I am also married and I have never passed my herps to my husband. Good Luck honey. Take care and keep the immune system up and strong. Truly, Aces :hithere:
  17. Lab11

Lab11 Member

Same here. Generic worked for a while but when I went to suppressive therapy I am getting OB after OB. I was using valcyclovoir with m122 written on it. A friend told me generics aren't always as good so I ordered valtrex today. Fingers crossed. I need my life back!