1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

GHSV-1 to GHSV1 transmission, how many of GHSV1 +ve got it this way?

Discussion in 'Spreading and Preventing Herpes' started by Onceandboom, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Onceandboom

Onceandboom No longer a member

Hi Guys,

Much of the evidence for GHSV-1 to GHSV1 transmission claims its rare and some herpes experts advocate that being the case GHSV1 +ve patients should not neceassarily have to disclose. Now please don't think this is my view, ITS NOT. But what I would love to know if possible is how many people on here got their GSHV1 from genital transmission??? As most of us got it from oral sex with a oral HSV1 person from asymptomatic shedding. I know this may be slightly shaded by the fact oral and genital sex may happen in the same "sitting" so to speak.

Still struggling to decide which I hate more...herpes or the twat that gave it to me..?!!
  2. JBnATL

JBnATL Staff Member Super Moderator

I have been on this site almost daily for the past 3 years and I have yet to meet someone who ghsv1 from intercourse.

I agree with what you have read that it is almost impossible to spread it that way.

JB
  3. jamhighs

jamhighs Newbie

where did you find this info on ghsv1 i have been looking for research on transmition facts or studies dying to know weather some that already has cold sores can get it down there and the other way around ???
  4. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

The experts will tell you it is highly unlikely, but they will not speak in absolutes. They admit it could happen, at least "theoretically." Call it CYA if you will, but I think they know anything is possible with HSV.

They also say that oral HSV2 is rare, but there are a significant enough number of members here who do have that variant to prove it is certainly possible.

Saying you haven't met anyone who has acquired GHSV1 via intercourse is nothing more than negative anecdotal evidence. That proves/disproves nothing in my estimation. I've never met a panther, but I feel there is sufficient proof that they exist.

I can't understand why anyone would be dying to know if it is possible or not. When it comes right down to it, what difference does it make?

:hmmmm2:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Onceandboom

Thanks JB, Just wanting to know whether to tell a future partner that it is very unlikely to spread to pass it on genitally to genitally when giving the talk.
  6. Onceandboom

Jamhighs, google Dr Anna Wald, she has written several studies on GHSV1 asymptomatic shedding after swabbing 100 women daily for one year and looking at source partners of GHSV1 +ve partners. DR Hansfield on the Medhelp doctor forum on herpes answers many peoples questions regarding transmission and recurrence rate etc on GHSV1. Both are experts in the field.
  7. Onceandboom

The reason I want to know RealisticGal is because it will make a big difference to how the "Talk" will have to go if i finally pluck up the courage to let someone back in. Lets face it someone telling you it is rare (but not completely impossible) to being infected by genital-genital transmission is more reassuring surely than being told "I have GHSV1 and it is easily trasmitted through vaginal sex although this is not how I got it" surely.....?!
  8. jamhighs

jamhighs Newbie

thanks once and boom i have just done the talk it didnt go to well but i do feel better after saying
  9. RealisticGal

It is your choice, of course, as to how you present the situation.

For what it's worth, I've read that there are some documented cases of genital-to-genital transmission of HSV1.

My fella just told me he has Herpes (GHSV2). I did the research, learned about HSV, and came to my own conclusions about the chances.

To me, if you tell someone "the chances are low," and if you are trying to "reassure" them, it would seem you are downplaying it in an effort to "convince" them. I would be pretty skeptical, if approached that way. It does depend on how well the other person knows you at the time of the talk, I'd suspect.

It makes sense to me that you would specifically tell potential partners that you have Genital HSV1. And it makes sense to tell them it is considered less likely to be passed via genital-to-genital sex. But I would be sure to tell them it is not considered impossible, and also that there is no guarantee that if a person gets it they will have a mild course with the virus.

The bottom line, is that they need to be aware there is always a chance --- and they need to be okay with that.

:wavey:
  10. RealisticGal

This is a s snippet from an article published by the American Social Health Association. This section specifically addresses transmission of GHSV1:

So far we've been talking about transmission of HSV-1 or 2 from its site of preference. What about transmission from another site? Say you acquire genital HSV-1 through oral sex. Can you spread the virus to a partner through genital sex?

The answer is yes, but probably not as easily as it was spread through oral sex. The main reason is that the virus reactivates and sheds less often outside its site of preference. Only about one quarter of people with genital HSV- 1 shed virus at all in the absence of symptoms, while 55% of people with HSV-2 do (Wald, New England Journal of Medicine, 1995). "Shedding data appear to parallel recurrence data, meaning that people who have a lot of recurrences also have a lot of shedding," says Wald.

While HSV- 1 can be spread from genitals to genitals, "we think it is spread more easily through oral sex because HSV-1 reactivates more frequently in the oral area," says Wald. However, she warns, "transmission of genital HSV-1 during asymptomatic shedding has been documented." In other words, genital HSV-1 can be spread through genital sex, even when there are no symptoms.

If HSV infection is as easily transmitted from the mouth as from the genitals, then why do people take steps to prevent genital but not oral infection? Why don't we kiss through dental dams ?

"It's ironic, isn't it?" says Wald. "It's not about health, it's about social acceptability."

Scientists can tell us all day that the main difference between the two viral types is simply their site of preference-whether they typically occur above the waist or below. But the unspoken attitudes of our society send a different message. That's just the problem, social attitudes whisper. Below the waist is bad.

"People think of oral herpes as the "good" herpes and genital herpes as the "bad" kind," says Glover of the National Herpes Hotline. "It's partly that they don't understand the similarities between HSV-1 and 2. But it's also that good and bad is how our culture views sex and our bodies."

The inescapable fact is that HSV-1 is usually spread through contact with infected lips, while HSV-2 usually spread through contact with infected genitals. From a social point of view, the problem is not the disease; it's how you got it.

Whether we like it or not, the social prejudice against genital herpes, no matter which virus causes it, is a reality. "People have more trouble explaining to a new partner that they have genital herpes, even if it's HSV- 1, than if they have a cold sore," says Glover. "Just saying the word "genital" is like an anvil that pulls the sentence down".

Is this topic making you crazy? For people who have trouble dealing with social attitudes toward genital herpes, the blatant double standard society applies to oral herpes can be frustrating, to say the least.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  11. Onceandboom

I just wish I could turn back the clock to that afternoon and not have made a stupid mistake. Then I would still have my freedom, normal sex life and future prospect of meeting someone significant instead of having blown all my chances on a guy who wasn't worth all this
  12. Poppy10

Poppy10 Member

I believe I contracted GHSV1 via genital contact ..... I had unprotected sex with an ex partner who clamed he was clean...... and had no symptoms ...... but we spent the night having very rough hard sex!! I believe I contracted that way but I cannot prove it as he has not spoken to me since!!

Wish I had'nt!!
  13. Onceandboom

Did he give you oral at all Poppy?? It gets in through micro abrasions which you would have had from rough sex.
  14. Onceandboom

I think GHSV1 gets in through multiple microabrasions. So maybe if we are careful to prevent too much damage below we are less likely to pass it...ummm theres hoping
  15. Poppy10

Poppy10 Member

No I did not recieve any oral but he recieved plenty from me and from all his last partners!!
  16. Onceandboom

Ah you kind of disprove the theory on it being almost impossible to pass but you did say you had rough sex so it certainly needs microabarasions to get in. It is easier for a man to pass to a woman because she has a large mucous membrane as a surface area for it to gain access. God damn this bloody virus!!!
  17. Number7

Number7 Well-Known Member

How long was it from the time you had "rough" sex until you had an outbreak?
  18. Number7

Number7 Well-Known Member

A lot of us can relate to turning back that clock!
  19. RealisticGal

There is no difference in mechanism of entry to the body between HSV1 and HSV2.

The reasons (theoretical) that genital to genital HSV1 is considered less likely to occur center around the observation that genital HSV1 usually recurs (and sheds) less often.

I'm very skeptical about that, personally. There are definitely proven cases of genital to genital transmission, and here we seem to have yet another.

:wavey:
  20. Poppy10

Poppy10 Member

Urinary symptoms and soreness 2 days full on outbreak 4/5 days...... then continued for ever!! Just stopped now I think!! and hope!!
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012