1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

Here's what works for me.... Bactine rules!!!

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by Mrbroc, May 18, 2010.

1. Mrbroc

Mrbroc Newbie

Hello, I have been reading this forum for two weeks and have received so much great information that I couldn't find anywhere else. Thanks so much. There are so many amazing post. I wanted to give back what little advice i have to possibly help someone out there. I hope it helps.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Background: I have had coldsores for 20+ years. They suck. I have tried prescription,OTC, crazy herbals, etc.

About a year ago I was getting another, of many, cold sores for the year. I was online looking for an alternative to abreva. I came across:
    Viroxyn Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment and Topical Antiseptic - Three 0.6 ml Vials $45

I went to Amazon to see what the comments were. I was overjoyed to see the first comment was:
    TheTruth (Florida) - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Viroxyn Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment and Topical Antiseptic - Three 0.6 ml Vials (Health and Beauty)
    Great product- but check the active ingredient. The secret is: IT'S THE SAME AS Bactine. Yes, THAT Bactine. As in only six bucks for a FULL BOTTLE of this stuff you get in three tiny vials here. I have no problem with someone trying to make a profit- but this is outrageous. Don't take my word for it: Compare the ingredient of Viroxin to Bactine: It's the same: Benzalkonium Cl 0.13%.

I read this and went right to the store and bought a $5 spray bottle of Bactine (5oz). Sprayed some on my finger and rubbed it on my lips. Soothing relief. An outbreak never happened. Since then I've probably used it 10-15 times. I don't have a more accurate number because when you don't have a breakout you aren't scarred my the miserable two weeks of suffering.*

I have suffered for years and it is a joy to have an inexpensive fix.... For me at least. I did have one outbreak in Mexico a month ago and forgot to bring *Bactine. *I couldn't find it in the pharmacy. When I got home the next day I put on some and it instantly soothed it. It did swell a bit but it didn't form up and scab. I love this stuff. And NO I am not a spokesman for the Bactine company, although they could probably make a fortune if they let people know it would sooth cold sores and well as sooth cuts and scrapes.

I also put it on my canker sores and it soothes them but it doesn't stop them. *You shouldn't swallow it though.
    As far as hsv2, my girlfriend tried it and said it did nothing to help .....sorry

By the way, the only difference is the soothing ingredients:*
    Viroxyn - *Benzocaine 5%
    Bactine - Lidocaine 2.5%

Another inexpensive product is CureChrome 1oz btl. ($3.50)*walgreens. It has the same ingredients.

I also found this, which is yet another expensive option:

ReleevĀ® Cold Sore Symptom Treatment*
    INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients:Benzalkonium Chloride 0.13% (an organic chloride salt). Inactive Ingredients:Viracea, Methyl & Propyl Paraben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylcellulose, Purified Water.

I hope this helps someone else ...it sure helped me

Now if anyone has any cankersore advice ... That would be helpful!!!!
  2. AquariusAngel

AquariusAngel Active Member

Hi broc and welcome to you. You certainly have been doing your homework haven't you :D I can't believe that Amazon left that feedback in. Health and Beauty must have lost a lot of sales surely. It's great you've found something good that works for you. I will have to hunt around for this product but I am worried I may not find it, as I live in Australia!

If I can get my hands on some, I will give it a try next time. I will let you know how it goes. What do you currently use for canker sores, and what have you tried in the past?
  3. Denise 07

Denise 07 Active Member

Wow I did not know that bactine would help heal and get rid of cold sores! I have some in my medicine cabinet because my kid's get cuts and scrapes alot in the summer time so now I can use it myself if I get another cold sore. The bottle I have has expired so next time I'm at Wal-Mart I will pick some up. Thanks for the info :)
  4. Mrbroc

Mrbroc Newbie

Thanks. I was pretty shocked too but it's Amazon's website not Viroxyn's website.. Thank goodness. I always check the comments on Amazon before I buy almost everything. I find out so much more information from all of the reviews.

As for the canker sores .... They suck!!! I have been suffering from canker sores for at least 30 years. I usually have 1 to 5 at any time combined with 'geographic tongue' . The worst is the canker sores on the the side of the tongue that rub on my teeth.*

I have tried everything for them and the only thing that works is Debacterol. It is a liquid that you put directly on the canker sore that chemically cauterizes it. It stings really bad but just for a few seconds ..... Then nothing but a wonderful, pain free mouth. It usually completely stops the canker sore 85% of the time. Now for the bad news, you can't find it online or otc (over the counter). I found it a few years ago online but can't find it anymore without a prescription. The only way you can get it is by a dentist applying it on you for $15. Ouch!! My little amount that i have left is like gold to me. That is ......

Until last night. After I did this post I went online looking for Debacterol and I came across this website:
    http://www.mouthulcers.org/treatments.php
    I was blown away!!!! A toothpaste called *Squigle Toothpaste with Xylitol and Fluoride might be the Holy Grail. Are you kidding me .... A tooth paste called SQUIGLE!!! Something must be fishy. So what do I do? That's right, I checked the reviews on Amazon:
    *http://www.amazon.com/Squigle-Ename...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    Listen, if this is a scam ...... Sign me up. I just ordered 3 tubes and will let you know. Apparently, it contains*Xylitol, which is supposed to be excellent for balancing the ph of your mouth. **

I had given up 10 years ago finding an answer but now I have new hope..
    For $8 bucks a tube it is a no-brainer for me. Indirectly, It has lead me into my newest search into the world of probiotics.

Also thanks to this website and its awsome users for providing hope that a cure for HSV might be in the near future. I look forward to these ones:

ACAM-529 - harvard Acambis acquired by Sanofi-Pasteur
    ImmunoVEXHSV2 by BioVex Inc*
    Nanobio cream. *Hsv01
    BAY57-1293
    ASP2151 ASTELLAS PHARMA

I hope this helps somebody else.

5. andreababes

andreababes Newbie

Bactine work on vaginal sores too?
  6. Solnia

Solnia Member

Mrbroc already answered this question, and I quote:

"As far as hsv2, my girlfriend tried it and said it did nothing to help .....sorry"
  7. andreababes

andreababes Newbie

Oh sorry I must have missed that