1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Herpes or male yeast infection?

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by nanuq, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. nanuq

    nanuq Newbie

    Oct 1, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    My saga started 8 days ago when I had unprotected sex with a friend who I have had unprotected sex before with. Within a days time I began to notice an itchy/uncomfortable feeling at the head of my penis and some swelling of my foreskin (I'm uncircumcised). Soon after this was complimented by a stinging or burning sensation when I started to pee. Within two days of having sex I began to notice some red blotching on my penis head and shaft along with red bumps. There was an uncomfortable itch but no real pain other than discomfort when starting to pee.

    I had been on zithromax since mid October with a 5 day break in between. I took my last antibiotic in early november. I know that people who have taken antibiotics are more susceptible to yeast infections and my friend who I slept with went to her doctor and while he didnt see anything initially, he spotted a minor yeast infection under the microscope.

    Naturally I've been treating this as a male yeast infection and have been applying canesten fairly liberally 2-3 times a day. While the swelling in my penis head has subsided, I have some strange blisters on the shaft of my penis that are fairly spread out and two very small pimple looking dots on the tip of my foreskin. These blisters/pimples seem to be in places where my foreskin naturally folds or where my penis leans against my testicles. Some of these blisters have a white head to them but some don't. When at one point I thought I was improving, I engaged in protected sex but also drank a ton of beer which has both yeast and sugar. Shortly after that I began to develop a rash but with red little bumps. I expected greater results from the canesten as I've been using it for almost a week. I just went through a round of tests before all this started and would like to avoid going back to the doctor unless totally necessary.

    Sorry for the lengthy summary but I suppose my questions are:

    If I had GHSV 2 would i know it? The blisters don't burn or itch (although the tip of my penis does on ocassion) and I have not experienced any fever or muscle ache.

    Is it possible that my friend has herpes and doesn't know it despite a blood test last week and nothing showing up?

    How can one differentiate between a male yeast infection and GHSV 2?

    From what i've read, most people develop sores on their penis head. Is this accurate?

    Do herpes sores look different from sores of a male yeast infection?

    Any insight or thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
  2. Elle22

    Staff Member Moderator

    Aug 15, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    No you wouldn't know unless you got tested. Symptoms are different for everyone, herpes can be bumps, blisters, sores, "papercuts", a rash, etc. While some people experience pain, others have none at all. Some people never even have symptoms.

    Yes, it is possible. You didn't say what kind of blood test she got, but only a blood test specifically for herpes will look for herpes. It can take three or more months after contracting herpes for the antibodies to show up, so for that period of time a herpes blood test could report a false negative.

    Get tested. There are tests for both yeast infection and for herpes. Both of them involve a swab.

    Symptoms vary person to person.

    No, they don't really look different. The only way to know is to go to a doctor or STD clinic and get tested.
  3. Dummy

    Dummy Active Member

    Oct 8, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:


    Unfortunately H isn't very streamlined and the best way of KNOWING if you have contracted is to take a IGG Herpes type specific (ELISA) test. This would show if you have developed antibodies which then answers the yes or no and which type (1= oral, 2= genital) for this disease. Its very misleading to try and self diagnose.. My advice is to see your doctor and request this test because most STD routine testing does NOT include this test .. In some cases even a negative result doesn't always say you are in the clear.. you may have to give it time (3-4 months) after the suspicious encounter to go and retest ... Antibodies can take that long to form in the body from the date of exposure.. You may want to read the westover clinic information on this forum to get more accurate info..

    Good luck
  4. Pnoy

    Pnoy Member

    Feb 17, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    How do you treat yeast infection in men? diflucan just 1 tablet will do? how do you know if you have one? Can yeast caused by too much antibiotic and penile discharge as well?