1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

herpes type 2 confussion

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by peterdur88, Apr 9, 2011.

1. peterdur88

peterdur88 Newbie

In late feb. I had sex, and before intercourse used a silicon lube, that I had never used before. The lube was definitely the wrong choice, and it dried my girlfriend out and really irritated my penis, it made it raw and frankly really cut it up. Within 24 spots started developing all around my penis. Within 48 hours it looked bad and I went to a doctor. The doctor gave me some cortisol cream. I used the cream for a day and after some research decided that I wanted a herpes test. The next day I came back and he gave me a swab herpes test. He said the test would take about a week to get back, but he gave me five days of aciclovir that I could take in the mean time.

I took five days of aciclovir, and the sores frankly did not really go away. Around ten days after the swab test was taken, the results came back. I tested positive for herpes 2, and negative for herpes 1. I am aware of the high accuracy of herpes swab tests.

Less than three days later, my problems got worse. All of the sudden, I could not pee! And I do not mean it was difficult, i mean literally I could not urinate at all. I had to been hospitalized and I had to use a catheter. I did not tell the doctors in the hospital that I had a positive herpes swab test already. I am an american in germany, and knowing how the german doctors work, if i had told them that they would of not bothered to run any additional tests.

So the doctors in the hospital inspected my penis, which still had sores after aciclovir, and they decided it was mostly a neurological issue. I was hospitalized for seven days. The doctors said it could be herpes, but they had never seen herpes that did not respond to antivirals, or that was so bad that someone could literally not urinate. They wondered if it could be some time of allergic reaction i had to the lube.

In the hospital the following test were ran.

mri, checked out ok
    ekg of limbs, checked out ok
    ms test, negative

and there was a ton of blood tests, and two spinal taps but i will focus on what relates to stds

herpes blood test, borderline region, could not say either way
    two herpes spinal taps in which the spinal fluid was analyized for herpes dna in a pcr herpes test, they were both negative.

In the hospital that had me on antibacterial and antiviral ivs.

From the intial outbreak of sores, i still have scars that have developed, i thought herpes did not leave behind scars. Now the scars are still obviously there and I have one sore that developed around a week ago, and has not gone away despite now being three days into a new course of acicolvir.

I am sure something is obviously wrong with me, and yes it is most likely herpes, i just want to be sure its not some other condition that could be being confussed with herpes.

From my research I have been under the impression that herpes swab tests (when you get a positive result), and herpes spinal tap pcr tests are both basically 99.9 percent accurate. My question is then if the swab was positive, and two pcr tests in the hospital were negative what do I believe. I really need some educated input.
  2. JBnATL

JBnATL Staff Member Super Moderator

Blood tests for herpes look for antibodies in your blood to the virus. It can take your body up to 3 to 4 months to create the antibodies for the test to find them. So sometimes if you recently contract the virus you can have negative blood tests.

You are doing the right thing though by visiting doctors.

Good luck!

JB
  3. peppermintpatty

peppermintpatty Active Member

If your lesion cultures came back positive for HSV2, then you can pretty much bet you have HSV2.
    You can have an allergic reaction going on at the same time.

spinal tap test was to rule out herpes virus ACTIVE in the central nervous system i.e. HSV meningitis or HSV encephalitis, or some type of HSV central nervous system neuropathy

uncomplicated HSv2 or typical genital herpes viral infection will not show up in CSF. The virus will be in its latent phase ,hibernating in the spinal nerves without causing a CNS infection. The spinal tap results would always be negative for the virus.

You should follow up with IgG, NOT IgM antibody tests, like JB said after 4 months, if you want the extra confirmation.
  4. ScaryJimmy

ScaryJimmy Active Member

I would ask to see the hard copy of your swab results, just to be sure.
  5. peterdur88

peterdur88 Newbie

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help so far.

ScaryJimmy, I got a print out of the swab results. Just two things about the swab results or atleast the doctor who took them make me wonder just a bit. One the doctor seems like an idiot, he told me if you do not have an outbreak, you can not give it to anyone. Second, it was suppose to take three days to get back, it took ten.

peppermintpatty, but see whats weird about the spinal tap results is, it proved i had an on going infection at the time! I had meningitis at the time. When spinal fluid is drawn, you are normally suppose to have 5 (what ever units) white blood cells. I had seventy on the first one, and 52 on the second! The doctors told me there was absolutely an infection of some kind going on, and the second result was after 4 days of iv aciclovir. The amount of white blood cells I had was at first 14 days normal, and then after the 4 days of antibiotics and antivirals 10 times normal. I will definitely follow up again with a new blood test. Whats weird also, is the person who must have given it to me, had a blood test and she was borderline as well. Not even a weak positive, and she has not had sex with anyone else since october, which would of been 5 months before.

jbnatl - i know its good seeing doctors to try to get some type of confirmation, but the problem is i am in germany right now, and frankly the doctors suck and really do not seem like they know what they are doing
  6. peterdur88

peterdur88 Newbie

i had high protein, and cell count

Normal Results

Normal values typically range as follows:
    • Pressure: 70 - 180 mm H20
    • Appearance: clear, colorless
    • CSF total protein: 15 - 60 mg/100 mL
    • Gamma globulin: 3 - 12% of the total protein
    • CSF glucose: 50 - 80 mg/100 mL (or greater than 2/3 of blood sugar level)
    • CSF cell count: 0 - 5 white blood cells (all mononuclear), and no red blood cells
    • Chloride: 110 - 125 mEq/L
    Note: mg/mL = milligrams per milliliter; mEq/L = milliequivalents per liter
    Note: Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
    What Abnormal Results Mean

If the CSF looks cloudy, it could mean there is an infection or a build up of white blood cells or protein.
    If the CSF looks bloody or red, it may be a sign of bleeding or spinal cord obstruction. If it is brown, orange, or yellow, it may be a sign of increased CSF protein or previous bleeding (more than 3 days ago). Occasionally, there may be blood in the sample that came from the spinal tap intself. This makes it harder to interpret the test results.
    Increased CSF pressure may be due to increased intracranial pressure (pressure within the skull). Decreased CSF pressure may be due to spinal cord tumor, shock, fainting, or diabetic coma.
    Increased CSF protein may be due to blood in the CSF, diabetes, polyneuritis, tumor, injury, or any inflammatory or infectious condition. Decreased protein is a sign of rapid CSF production.
    Increased CSF gamma globulin levels may be due to diseases such as multiple sclerosis, neurosyphilis, or Guillain-Barre syndrome.
    Increased CSF glucose is a sign of high blood sugar. Decreased CSF glucose may be due to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), bacterial or fungal infection (such as meningitis), tuberculosis, or certain other types of meningitis.
    Increased white blood cells in the CSF may be a sign of meningitis, acute infection, beginning of a chronic illness, tumor, abscess,stroke, or demyelinating disease (such as multiple sclerosis).
    Red blood cells in the CSF sample may be a sign of bleeding into the spinal fluid or the result of a traumatic lumbar puncture.
    Additional conditions under which the test may be performed:
  7. peterdur88

peterdur88 Newbie

i took aciclovir for five days, and the morning after my last bill, i had new bumps on the head of my penis, is it possbile so soon again to have an outbreak, after being on aciclovir 200mg, 5x a day for five days
  8. inquiring1

inquiring1 Active Member

Hope you feel better.

Hi peterdur88,

Wow that is a lot of info!!!

My first genital ob was textbook awful, and took several weeks of suffering before being diagnosed & treated.

Ideally, a medical condition (that can affect each differently), is treated with a medication that is created to have specific treatment out comes (once again, each person reacts differently.) I am perplexed that my HSV2-G is now controlled, and the HSV1-O that I have had forever still rages on. :confused:

Anyway, hope you feel better, and the scars will fade ;).

Sincerely,

inquiring1