1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

How can you tell if you have herpetic whitlow?

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by bigzam, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bigzam

bigzam Member

Hi all,

Just want to know what are the common signs of herpetic whitlow and how it looks like before outbreaking. I have cold sores and have been pretty watchful and careful how I handle my mouth area.

I've been washing my toothbrush every time I use it and that involves rubbing the soap into my hands to the point I have enough soap foam then I proceed to brush the bristles with it with my thumb.

Lately my left thumb is having a weird tingling sensation and I'm worried that I might have possibly self infected my thumb. Although highly unlikely because I have not cuts and the skin seems pretty firm. And from what I have been told self infections is harder to get after the primary outbreak unless you deliberately make an open wound and let herpes fluid seep into the wound.

So am I overreacting? Or could this be something totally different?
  2. bigzam

bigzam Member

Ok, so 4 days have passed and the tingling feeling is still there on my thumb but no outbreak on the thumb but I did get one on the top center of my lips.

So I guess I can say that I have no herpes infection on the thumb because from what I read most people say their fingers get really painful.
  3. regret

regret Well-Known Member

its possible, i dont know if it has to have an opening necessarrily to infect?? i would keep an eye on it and dont touch anything else on any part of your body with your thumb..
  4. bigzam

bigzam Member

Hi Regret,

I talked to a sex therapist before and she told me that herpes likes to get transmitted through a cut, abrasion on the skin. Brushing your skin into sore has a higher chance of infection because those fluids contain millions of herpes viruses so it's harder for the immune system to halt the invasion.

But if your skin is healthy a herpes virus on the surface of the skin is very weak because it's outside of a human body and will die within minutes. Even if it doesn't die given that the conditions are preferable it's basically still a fish out of water and has no strength to do enough damage unless there is an opening.

My thumb had no opening as far as I could tell and even if did have the chances of an infection is so slim. Why? Because I wash my brush with soap before usage and after usage. Between each wash I would wash my hands again with soap. Lastly I soak my brush face down on a cup with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol.

So I don't see how I could get an infection plus didn't they say after the first outbreak your body should have antibodies created to fight off herpes unless it's a huge number of viruses from the fluid seeping into your skin.

The only thing that is still bothering me is the tingling sensation. I can't have that peace of mind until the tingling stops. Does anyone ever had a tingling sensation longer than a week?
  5. kymmer

kymmer Active Member

I haven't experienced an outbreak anywhere other than my face - but I can almost feel my body fighting it off sometimes - I will get the tingling burn sensation on and off for several days in the viruses 'favorite spot' on my chin, but sometimes won't get a blister....

From what I have been reading it seems unlikely that you would have transferred it to your thumb unless fluid entered an opening.