1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

How is HSV-2 worse than HSV-1?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by chocoholic91, Mar 16, 2011.

1. chocoholic91

chocoholic91 Newbie

I was diagnosed with HSV-1 on the genitals last month. I know you get that from oral sex and type 2 via intercourse. I've read that people wish they had HSV-1 rather than HSV-2. Why is that? Aren't they basically the same thing, except you get one from oral sex and one from intercourse? To me, herpes is herpes and both types are bad in my opinion. Sorry, I'm still new to this and still learning about herpes.
  2. regret

regret Well-Known Member

both are basically the same type 2 is the stronger of the two .
  3. afewquestions

afewquestions Newbie

She is right, type two is stronger and since it's on the undercarriage I'm sure you could imagine hurts a little more
  4. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

I have HSV2 and I've had it since July 2010. I'm on suppressives and it works very well.

HSV2 is only worse because it carries a heavier stigma than HSV1 (IMO!)

ALthough, I may be one of the lucky few that suffered a MILD outbreak in comparison to others. I didn't even have blisters.

I only get itching and pain in my legs - thats it.

It doesn't hurt 'more'. In fact, I'm quite shocked that *I* didn't get the initial OB that I see everyone else did.

HSV2 or HSV1 - it's still HSV. *AND* HSV1 genitally can also be a bugger and have recurrences. It just depends on someone's ability to suppress it via their immune system but clinically it sheds less often so it tends not to recur like HSV2 does.

Unfortunately there is NO textbook way of looking at Herpes. It's quite the chameleon of a virus.
  5. package deal

package deal VIP Member

the only good thing about herpies 2 is that you can people cant tell you have herpies by just looking at you
  6. ScaryJimmy

ScaryJimmy Active Member

Kind of an odd way to phrase the question. Obviously, nobody here wants to answer by making persons with HSV-2 feel bad.

In general, persons with HSV-1 genitally will have fewer outbreaks and it is considerably more difficult to transmit to a partner. Always exceptions to the rule, though.
  7. SillySlappa

SillySlappa Member

when i first got diagnosed with ghsv1 my doctors goes. ok so the bad news is your have herpes but the good news is you have the good kind. im like good kind? theres no such thing as a good kind of herpes. Because its out of its homeground, it's meant to no recur as much. After my first ob i got no more ob for 2 mnths then now ive had this current outbreak for 3 weeks. SO i dno about it recuring less that hsv 2. in my opinion both are horrible and need to be cured.
  8. Sabrina32

Sabrina32 Active Member

the difference is where they go and hide. Hsv1 primarily goes to the trigeminal ganglia where as hsv2 prefers the dorsal root ganglion. Hsv1 is more common, in the general population.
  9. talesofagirl

talesofagirl Active Member

No. No, no, no. They go to the ganglion of wherever you were infected. I understand you wrote "prefers," but the way it's written implies that it always goes to that location. It stays wherever it began.

HSV1 is considered "better" than hsv2, if you're talking genitally, because since it's in it's non-preferred location it usually has fewer outbreaks. The majority of those who contract it have only one outbreak. But yes, there are exceptions.

HSV1 is considered "better" than HSV2 in general, because the majority of the population already has it, and therefore cannot catch it from you.

But the 2 viruses are very similar. And yes, they both should be cured. No one should have either.
  10. Sabrina32

Sabrina32 Active Member

exactly i wrote prefer i think most people know you can have hsv1 genitally or hsv2 orally and yes they are genetically 99 percent identical
  11. milagro

milagro Newbie

Please help!! I've had herpes for 17 yrs. At first, I had super painful burning and stinging, had a fever al that stuff. I don't really get the sores like i've heard people say they do. Sometimes I'd rather have thar. The burning is torture beyond belief!!!!! It lasts for months. I've gone to the doctr's on numerous occasions and they tell me that it's not herpes. I've had a blood test(western blot) It came back negative. I've heard people say blood tests aren't accurate and i"ve heard others say it is. I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm really surpised that in this day and age we are living in now, that these tests are still unknown and not accurat. I recently had another test about two weeks ago (GGV or something like that) It came back positive or HSV1 and negative for HSV2. I don't know whether i should believe that or not since once again, I've heard many times that blood tests aren't accurate. I am in so much pain everyday. This lasts for months. I am married and I don't even want to think of sex while i'm like this. My husband is the best in the world!!I convinced my OB GYN to give me a presciption for acyclovir. She gave me a prescription for 5 days. I later called her back and asked if i could get another one. She didn't want to but did. She prescribed another 7 days worth. I was wondering how long it takes for these pills to start working. I've been taking them for 8 days now and I'm still in constant torture!!!! If anyone can answer my question i would really appreciate it!! 'm still convinced that it's HSV2 and the blood test is wrong!!!!! If anyone could give me any suggestions I would gretly appreciate it. I can't believe i have been dealing with this for 17 yrs and Dr's still telling me that's not it. I know my body and i know something is terribly wrong!! Another thing i noticed is, does anyone know if this can be passed with other than sexual contact or direct contact? Everytime i get these so called ob's. My family gets sick, I mean like stomach sick. They get nausea, diarreah, and just the you know, sick feeling. I think somehow the virus has something to do with this. It's just too coincidental that when this happens everyone is sick like this. Even my little dog. She's been having diarreah since i had these last symptoms. I think we really need to push for more research on this. I think that there's more to this virus that we don't even know. And that's scarey!!!!! Sorry this is so long but i appreciate anyone's opinions that can help me!! Thanks and God Bless!!
  12. chocoholic91

chocoholic91 Newbie

Thank you so much for your answers! I definitely feel like I understand it better. Also, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I just came across someone saying how HSV-2 was worse than HSV-1, so I was just curious.

Thank you again! :)
  13. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, many of the answers you've received in this thread included a LOT of misinformation.

For starters, neither strain is "stronger" than the other. But it is true that each is likely to cause more severe/frequent outbreaks when in its own "home base." (i.e. HSV2 in the genital area and HSV1 in the oral area)

The thing with HSV is that it varies a lot from person to person. Many folks never have ANY outbreaks, while some may have very frequent and severe ones. And that is true no matter which type they have in which location.

I want to clear up the idea that genital HSV1 can only be acquired by receiving oral sex. Theoretically, at least, it is possible to transfer HSV1 by way of genital to genital skin contact (through intercourse, or even outercourse).

Also, because it is possible to have oral HSV2, one could theoretically acquire genital HSV2 from someone through oral sex. (Not likely, but possible.)

You might want to read this web page. It addresses the similarities and differences between the two strains very well, and includes a lot of different possible scenarios. It's one of the most thorough and accurate explanations I've seen online.

"Good" Virus/"Bad" Virus - The Truth About HSV1 and HSV2

:wavey:
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  14. chocoholic91

chocoholic91 Newbie

Oh, wow okay. Thank you so much! So, if my ex-boyfriend got HSV-1 from someone who performed oral sex on me, than there is a possibility that he could have given me genital HSV-1? I know it doesn't matter how I got it anymore, but I'm just curious.

Thanks for the link, I'm definitely going to look at that website! :)
  15. RealisticGal

There is something not quite right in what you asked there. You asked if your ex-boyfriend could have acquired HSV-1 from someone who performed oral on YOU. He could not (directly) get HSV-1 from someone who had oral sex with YOU. But if he had oral sex with that person also, then he could.

I think perhaps the scenario you meant to ask about is this:

• First, if your boyfriend was given oral sex (by someone who had oral HSV-1), could he get genital HSV-1?
    • If he then had genital to genital contact (intercourse) with you, could he give you genital HSV-1?
    The answer to both is "yes," but they are not the most likely scenarios. Totally possible, however.

(Accurate) knowledge is power! :wavey:
  16. chocoholic91

chocoholic91 Newbie

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote that question & I meant to say on him, instead of me! Okay, well thank you. You just cleared up that one question that I've been trying to find the answer to!
  17. RealisticGal

You betcha! Glad to be of help!

:wavey: