1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

How many days of Valtrex?

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by sandwitch, Jan 10, 2011.

1. sandwitch

sandwitch Newbie

I just started a second OB within 2 months - unusual for me, but maybe the first one was due to an unavoidable and very heavy antibiotic course. Unfortunately I didn't catch that one in time.

Felt the tingling and immediately started Valtrex. All good, never blossomed. But is three days enough? My doctor doesn't seem too clear on what to do - my prescrip says 3 to 5 days. So... I'm not sure if I should continue (just finished the three days). I don't have that many outbreaks but I did have a nasty reminder in December of how very difficult they can make life.

All advice welcome! Thanks in advance!
    Oh - I have HSV1.
  2. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

I thought I felt an OB coming on just this past week. I don't usually take the Valtrex twice per day for 10 days...it seems a bit drastic. I usually take an "OB dosage" for 3 days and then I go back to suppressive. Seems to alleviate the symptoms.

Although I am making up my own rules on how to take an episodic dosage, it's best to consult a physician. Everyone is different.
  3. Misery

Misery Member

I was given Valacyclovir/Valtrex by my doctor 1G twice a day for 3 days. I immediately went on daily suppressive therapy after finishing the 3 days. It has been a week now and I am still very itchy at times and have what looks like hair bumps and dry spots that I always get. I just wonder when the symptoms will go away.