1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.
  1. mrlakeman

mrlakeman Newbie

My GF got diagnosed with herpes 2 2 wks ago, we've just started dating 2 months.... So I went to get tested a week after and I came back negative.

I am concerned , b/c we were very sexually active, no condoms, lots of oral, lots of making out... I was almost sure I would come back positive. The week after I got tested, we did have protected sex ONE time, she gave me oral twice... so NOW I am still confused...

1. How long after getting affected, would it show up on the blood test?? I want to go back for another test, so wondering if I got it the last week of kissing, etc...

2. Any medical source online where I can see this specific answer? My doctor's office, said I could wait two weeks and do it again.

tks
  2. justmyself

justmyself Active Member

It can take up to 12 weeks for antibodies to show up in your blood. If you plan to continue to be with this girl, it doesn't make sense to get blood tests done every month just to see if you have it or not. I would suggest using condoms from now on and definitely avoiding sex if/when she has an outbreak. If/when you break up, you could wait 3 months and get another blood test to see if you contracted it from her at any time when you were together. If you have any symptoms or develop sores, you should go to the doctor right away and have a swab test done. But with the proper precautions, you can remain virus free.
  3. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

if she has genital herpes you cannot get it from her giving you oral sex.