1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

HSV1 - when is a cold sore "healed enough" to kiss again?

Discussion in 'Sex, Kissing and Intimacy' started by dsfwef23, Dec 29, 2012.

1. dsfwef23

dsfwef23 Newbie

Hi,

My partner has a cold sore that seems to have healed almost completely (there is no scab or loose skin), but there is still a slightly darkened discoloration where the sore was. Is this healed enough to resume kissing and oral sex, or do we need to wait until all trace is gone? It's been about 3 weeks total since the sore appeared.

thanks!
  2. KarmaIsMe

KarmaIsMe No longer a member

I have the same, my outbreaks look like a mini misquto (however its spelled!) bump and i never get clusters of bumps just one at a time. I usually only get them at work because my job and the people I work with stress me out severly. Which is why i pop 3 500mg of "L-Lysine" (got it from cvs but amazon has some great one's with other good stuff for immune system) before work and so far so good. You guys should try taking 1 500 mg daily and up to 3 or 4 when that first tingle/ itching starts. when I do that It stops the ob in its tracks! But to answer your question, i would think its safe if the bumps are gone but you can still pass without ob with the shedding. The ones that have cleared up did leave what are similar to black heads for me, but ive had acne and blackheads like forever so even without putting make up on, its not something that ppl would take a second look at considering my blackheads and acne problem anyway. I would think a skin discoloration cream would help that though. Happy for you guys that you have one another and stick by eachother! That's a rare find for me
  3. undercover

undercover Member

hello, my wife and i had an ob the same day lol. and we stoped kissing for three weeks from the initial outbreak to the end of it but we took an extra week of just to be sure. so it was a about 21 to 25 days give or take. in your case if you dont have it i would wait a full 30 days.
  4. Mandolin

Mandolin Newbie

Hi, I know this is off-topic but if you both have cold sore outbreaks does that mean that you both have h? And if that's the case then are you contagious to each other? I'm very new to all this (diagnosed a week ago) and it might be a dumb question but I'm just trying to figure out certain golden rules!
  5. undercover

undercover Member

Hi, there are no dumb questions here its good to be as imformed as possible to prevent aditional transmission. Yes we noth have oral hsv1 now that we both have it if i get an ob and dont cathch it on time i could give her an ob from skin to skin. But my ob might be mild enoutht to not pass it. Like the other day i had one on my gum line her and i still kised but not make out and she didnt get an ob. While there are no obs you are not contagious maybe about 5% of the year. If you and your patner have it just looo for the signs to prevent tye other person from having an ob. No another thing to consider is if he/she doesnt have it at all you have to be especially carefull to not pass it on at all you can still have a verry verry normal life we bth dont have it in our genitals and have had it for about three years and yes it can be passed on to the genital area so be carefull. Best of luck.
  6. AlUrker

AlUrker Guest

You can't catch what you already have. If both partners are already positive for hsv1 you can kiss when it's mutually agreeable. Never known kissing to cause an ob....nor has intercourse ever caused an ob of my or my partners hsv2, at least not conclusively.