1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

Lemon Juice Works!

Discussion in 'Personal Experience with Herpes' started by Healing45, May 28, 2010.

1. Healing45

Healing45 Newbie

I had an unexpected breakout on Thursday morning. I had no Valtrex. I started reading everything I could to figure out how to get rid of this cold soar. I kept reading about lemon balm and lemon juice was mention as well. I purchased a bottle of pure lemon juice and used Q-tips to apply it through out the day and night. It's Saturday and my cold soar is almost completely gone. I can hardly believe it. I have dealt with this for almost 20 years and no product has worked this quickly for me. A bottle of $1.93 lemon juice. Wow. Am amazed.
  2. gotitsowhat

gotitsowhat Well-Known Member

My own lemon juice story

Since I have GH, I cannot imagine using lemon juice topically. Fortunately, I don't have outbreaks that often.

But...recently, I read an article about resisting viral infections, like colds and flu, and it said that if you drink a glass of water with fresh lemon juice in it first thing in the morning, you will make your whole body more alkaline and less inclined to harbor viruses. So I am doing that. Don't really know if it is helping me yet but, since I have had a lot of various kinds of infections and health related issues this last year, I thought it worth a try.
  3. Healing45

Healing45 Newbie

Trust me, am as surprised as anyone! As of now it is almost completely gone. Totally unoticable opposed to earlier. I'm so happy.:p
  4. borndead1

borndead1 Member

F**k it, next time I get an OB I am splashing some lemon juice on my junk. :D
  5. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

One of the best laughs I've had all day --- thanks!
  6. Wilder

Wilder Active Member

I love hot lemon water. Kinda like tea but made with lemon. It is very soothing for a sore throat. Maybe I need to start drinking it again and more often. Funny part is I hate lemon in my tea or in a glass of water do not know why just dont. But hey I will try anything natural to try to keep me heathier than I am.
  7. awaken

awaken Active Member

Real vs bottled

Question: On the topic of pure lemon juice. I have wondered if store bought bottles of lemon juice are as nutrient, beneficial and helpful as the juice from an actual lemon. I've used Real lemon 100% lemon juice in many things but wonder if I am cheating myself for substituting the real thing. The same question goes for taking garlic pills vs eating real garlic from cloves. Of course I've always heard eating substitutes really don't compare to eating real foods. It seems like a no brainer. But I know people who swear by bottled lemons and garlic pills and these specific substitutes market themselves as 100% real ingredient without filler or compounds.
  8. Amalia

Amalia Active Member

First time I have smiled in a long time!!
  9. banchee women

banchee women Newbie

garlic pills help

when it's a first sign of tingling i take 14 garlic pills the first day then 11 the next and the 3rd day 9 and so on then i take a pill every day and still do i have had less outbreaks dont know if this makes sense but it works
  10. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

Garlic

Makes sense. Garlic has well-known antiviral (and other) properties, and we have certainly heard of sulfur being effective in the treatment of herpes. I use a lot of garlic in my cooking (Yum-o!).

From this page (http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/41/120.cfm) we learn:

"Garlic (Allium sativum). In addition to its well-known antibacterial action, garlic is also antiviral. Several of the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]sulfur [COLOR=blue ! important]compounds[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in garlic are active against the flu virus, according to Heinrich P. Koch, Ph.D., professor of pharmaceutical chemistry and biopharmaceutics at the University of Vienna, and Larry D. Lawson, Ph.D., a research scientist at an herb company in Utah, authors of Garlic: The Science and Therapeutic Application of Allium Sativum and Related Species."

Again, I'm reluctant to point to any specific compounds in garlic, because I suspect that they all somehow work together."

Some physicians who use herbs recommend taking two garlic capsules a day to treat colds, flu and other viral infections. But I prefer fresh garlic to capsules, and so does naturopath Jane Guiltinan, N.D., chief medical officer of Bastyr University in Seattle. She recommends consuming up to a dozen cloves a day. I'd have trouble with taking that many, except in salad dressing,garlic bread, soups and vegetable juice.

To avoid colds, I'd suggest you go ahead and eat a lot of garlic as a preventive. The other food to favor is onion, a close relative of garlic, which has similar though less potent antiviral action"
  11. Canadian Daisy

Canadian Daisy Active Member

Garlic huh?? I should give that a try. Thanks for posting.
    As for the lemon juice, no way am I putting that on myself. In 26 yrs I always just let it run it's course..just me though. :)
  12. mitciv

mitciv Newbie

No lemon juice for me thank you!

My doctor always tells me to keep taking vitamin C, but I hate taking pills everyday, and that's one more tablet every day for me so I seldom do. There have been other doctors that advised warm salt water....that burns like hell and it almost NEVER helps. I am not going to be trying any lemon juice. I think my skin is too sensitive for that. However I do believe that my diet contributes to my ob and it definitely doesn't help if I am stressed. I have been going through this for more than ten years now and nothing seems to work. I have several outbreaks a year and the only thing that seems to work is Valtrex, which takes about 5 days for it to work. I can't afford the suppressive therapy so I can only treat one outbreak at a time. I still hate this disease.......22 years later.
  13. DonnieDreams

DonnieDreams Well-Known Member

Lets just say this, if, and only if it came down to it and it was that bad... MAAAAAAYBE. But honestly man, tell you what give it a try and get back with me on how it goes. I'm thinking that the hurt of h wont really matter anymore cause "yo junk be screaming (inserts the song "Fire")"
  14. cassanova

cassanova Newbie

Garlic is great for suppressing obs it is also effective in the fight against yeast infections but all the medicinal properties are destroyed once you cook it.
  15. postivelove30

postivelove30 Member

are you sure ALL the medicinal properties are destroyed if you cook it? like sautee it in with veggies???
  16. AF Vet

AF Vet Member

I have to say..... I read this thread yesterday... finally made the decision to try it. The juice... and I mean down below... I've had two obs since my bf left for deployment a week and a half ago.... So, basically I guess I'm saying that last night I put straight lemon juice directly on an open sore... since the blisters popped yesterday at work. OMG THE PAIN!! Pain I can handle... two kids delivered w/out drugs... Dislocated knee twice... I can do pain... but wow... LOL. anyway... The sore closed up and believe it or not it worked wonders!!! I'm going to keep that in mind, pain be damned!!!!

~J
  17. cassanova

cassanova Newbie

The antibiotic properties of garlic are a direct result of the allicin produced from raw, crushed garlic. This is destroyed by age and cooking - cooked garlic has virtually no antibiotic value although it still retains other benefits.I forgot the temperature at which it starts loosing its values.
  18. postivelove30

postivelove30 Member

cassonva - wow, thanks. That kinda sucks, guess I gotta start eating it raw. Do you know about pickled garlic? I loooooove pickled garlic...its not technically cooked....if I pickle it then chew it does it retain the acllin??
  19. d00m kitty

d00m kitty Well-Known Member

I was just about to start drinking lemon juice again before my OB but decided against it because when I was urinating it was hurting like hell!! I'm feeling better now down under, just itchy as more than anything, and yes dammit, I'm gonna be drinking that lemon juice like I was going too!! And maybe use it elsewhere too? ;-) Thanks for your help & laughs!!

Kez