1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Manuka Honey!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Herpes!' started by hope1950, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hope1950

hope1950 Newbie

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and it's a lulu.:-D I'm a 58 year old woman who was diagnosed with genital herpes in 1992, along with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. After multiple herpes outbreaks the first year, it all seemed to have died down - I had an outbreak in 2000 and that was the last one until this week. I guess my immune system has been down recently, because I also got my first coldsore in years about two weeks before the genital outbreak.

Anyway, here's the fantastic news! The outbreak was really bad, painful in the extreme, and it was the weekend, so I couldn't get to my doc for a prescription. However, several months ago I bought a jar of Manuka honey from the health food store, to deal with a possible HPV infection in my stomach. This honey is from New Zealand and has very high medicinal properties - the main one being that it is antimicrobial. I thought, what the heck, I'll try anything in my present state. So I just put a little on the tip of my finger (rubber gloved, of course), and applied it directly to the lesions. I couldn't believe it, but the whole mess was cleared up in two days. No crusting, nothing but clean vulval area.

So, in the interest of helping someone else, I thought I would post this here. This honey isn't cheap, but it's not the kind you put in your tea or bake with, so it will last a long time. If you want quick relief, believe me, this works.
  2. bluefrog

bluefrog Active Member

isn't honey gooey and sticky? does it have an odor?
  3. hope1950

hope1950 Newbie

More about Manuka

Hi Blue Frog,

Yes, Manuka honey is gooey and sticky. It does have a strongly sweet odor, but not any stronger than some of the weird-smelling colognes and lotions people wear these days. But you don't need a lot; as I said, I just used a little dab on the tip of my finger each time, when I first got up, after my shower, and three or four times during the day. Because the lesions were within a labial fold, I just wore loose cotton undies and skirts to go out in. I guess if the lesions were on an exposed area, I'd probably want to cover them with an appropriately sized square of surgical gauze, to protect my clothing, at least for excursions outside my home. But it doesn't stain.

I've done a little research and found that medical studies were done with "Medihoney" (a trademarked brand of Manuka honey) on people with leukemia, who normally had very poor wound-healing ability, and that it increased the healing times for their lesions by an average of 50%. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Hope this helps.:cool:
  4. bluefrog

bluefrog Active Member

thanks for the info!
  5. Eurydice

Eurydice Active Member

Hi Hope,
    I know, Manuka Honey is great for your immune system and antibacterial.
    How does it fight the virus? I like all natural things, had too many antibiotics in my life...