1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Outbreaks and Menstruation?

Discussion in 'About My Outbreaks' started by shadowblue, Apr 24, 2009.

1. shadowblue

shadowblue Member

I'm recovering from my first outbreak, and am going to start my period, and I'm worried about it. I don't even know what to worry about. Tampon vs. pad usage? Irritation? I've finished my meds and most symptoms are genital burning and aching. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. pocahontes

pocahontes Newbie

I was browsing the sight as I recently had my first outbreak right before my menstruation. Although tampons are okay, if your outbreak is internal, it might be a good idea to stick to pads-you wouldn't want to spread the virus to other areas.
  3. shadowblue

shadowblue Member

Thanks, pocohantes. I don't know how internal my ob is, my doctor didn't say and I didn't think/know to ask. It was very external (not so bad now), so I'm concerned about pads too.
  4. MUSTANGDEPRESSED

MUSTANGDEPRESSED Newbie

encouragement

i need some encouragement. i was diagnosed with h1 last july. it has freaked me out. i was recently divorced and 1 year later, my first date since my divorce, i was given this virus. i am so afraid that i will never find anyone who will accept me since i have had this nasty diagnosis.

Please lift my spirits.
  5. regret

regret Well-Known Member

in time as you get used to having this virus you will feel more cmfortable with it.. attitude is everything and how you present it to others is also..if you have alot of doubt about it you will reflect that to whomever..be cvonfident in who you are and what you have to offer someone..thier not dating a virus, thier dating you and if they give a **** about you, they will see past the virus,,i know my boyfriend has..
  6. cherrace

cherrace Newbie

Well I don't know your circumstances, but I had the same problem. Luckily I was on birth control so I just started my new pack to delay my period 2 days. I don't know if this option is available to you. I still had a little bit left of my outbreak when I started.. I found the pads quite irritating and the tampon really only gave slight discomfort inserting and taking it out. So 2 bouts of 5 second pain versus a constant irritation tat may make your outbreak worse is how i see it. Unless of course the tampon is unbearable to you then I'm sure you'll know which option to choose. Good luck!
  7. OceanDeep

OceanDeep Newbie

Got my period during an ob and if the blood got to my sores it burned. I use a menstrual cup (no pads no pons) and this usually keeps the flow away from the outside. I did not have any internal sores that I know of so inserting was comfortable still. I couldn't imagine using a pad in my case :-(
  8. ohwell

ohwell Member

I guess this is pretty individual. I've found sometimes when I have an OB and my period that using a pad and letting my period moisten the sore actually is relieving...but for OceanDeep its opposite. I never notice internal sores (dont know if I get them...how would one know?) Lately my OBs have been coming right after my period so this hasnt been an issue. But my general procedure has been to use my menstrual cup (previously used tampons) provided they dont scrape against the sore when inserting. If they do I suffer through pads instead (hate pads!)
  9. smithconfused

smithconfused Active Member

I was diagnosed with H2 last month right after having my period. I was prescribed Valtrex for the outbreak and for suppressive therapy. Now it is September, I'm on my period and experiencing yet another break out. Does this mean, I will have an outbreak every month during my period. I seriously need to control this virus and not let this virus take control of me.

I can't handle....this is depressing. My quality of life seems diminished. I need your help. Any suggestions??????
  10. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

I know this is an old thread, but I think I've figured out that my outbreaks (although extremely mild in nature) - comes in the form of itching and mild 'rawness' at the end of my period. I'm on the very last day (almost zero flow) and whaddya know! I'm starting to feel raw and itchy down there! So I've FINALLY figured out that these could be outbreaks and I get them around my period.

I'm on daily suppressive Valtrex, but I'm STILL getting these symptoms!! I thought by switching to actual "VALTREX" it would help! (from generic) I've even doubled up my dosage these last few days and I don't know if it's helping!!!

I was wondering - will this pattern EVER STOP? Will I ALWAYS get outbreaks during my period? (If these even ARE outbreaks?) Or should I just say 'sianara' to the actual thought that the symptoms will never die down and I will suffer them monthly forever?

Does anyone have experience where they suffered monthly OB's during their period, but then it stopped happening after awhile?

Does anyone have any methods where I can perhaps prevent them from happening? (Taking more Valtrex during my period before an OB even starts?)

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks