1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

People Who Have Herpes but Never Had an Outbreak

Discussion in 'Dating and Telling a Partner' started by unbreakable, Jul 21, 2011.

1. unbreakable

unbreakable Newbie

Since it is established that people can have herpes and never even show a sign, I'm just curious how often people are asymptomatic? And if they are asymptomatic then would they ever get an outbreak or would they always be a carrier but never have an outbreak? Also, how do you know if you are asymptomatic or not?
  2. JBnATL

JBnATL Staff Member Super Moderator

The word "asymptomatic" means without symptoms. Those who are lucky enough to be asymptomatic are always asymptomatic. The only way to know if you are asymptomatic is to get a blood test that comes back positive but you never have an outbreaks.

Just because someone may be asymptomatic does not mean they can never pass it along. There is something called asymptomatic shedding which occurs sometimes. This article talks about it:

www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101

Come to the "Chat Room", there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB