1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.
  1. tetris123

tetris123 Newbie

About two and a half years I got my first cold sore outbreak on the very centre of my chin. I was diagnosed with impetigo by one doctor and was prescribed a cream and the sore cleared up. I got another outbreak about 2 months later in the exact same place and my usual doctor said that it was actually a cold sore and I began using zovirax. The sore persisted and I was rarely free from it for longer than a week. I started to get smaller sores in the surrounding areas, always on the chin. Eventually I was prescribed tablets that cleared it up for many months.

This July the original sore was sparked by exposure to sun. Since then I have not had one day without a cold sore. I've probably only had three or four major cold sores but I always have small ones all over my chin that I have to keep and eye on. They barely even blister but I know they are cold sores because they always occur in the exact places that they were originally, with a small amount of spreading also.

I know my situation could be a lot worse but I can't relax because they are always there and I worry about infecting others or spreading them further.

Recently, I tried taking lysine tablets and having a higher ratio of lysine to arginine in my diet but they didn't clear up. Nothing else helps and I am at a total loss as to what to do next, please help!
  2. les wilson

les wilson Newbie

Cod liver tablets

Hi tetris123.
    Try COD LIVER OIL TABLETS, I suffered for years with cold sores and 4 years ago I started taking these tablets, one a day every day, I just wish that I had started taking them years earlier, even on holiday in full sun they do not appear.
    Let me know how you go on.
    Regards, Les Wilson.
  3. Stringer

Stringer Newbie

Re:

I'm right there with you tetris123. With antiviral pills and lysine, I've been able to keep the cold sores on the middle part of my upper-lip under control, but I feel like I am constantly keeping an eye on my lip b/c of the frequency of tingling and early cold-sore development (I can see the whiteness under my skin).

I feel like the virus is constantly active, and I just want it to go back to the nerve ganglion and give me a break. Does anyone else have this type of constant virus activity?

Les, thanks again for the post - I am willing to try cod liver (as I am willing to try any- and everything).
  4. tetris123

tetris123 Newbie

stringer: yes yes yes that''s EXACTLY my problem! it's always niggling away there. i started to think it maybe wasn't cold sores because no one else i know that gets them could relate to what i was saying. i'm going to try cod liver oil and report back!
  5. Stringer

Stringer Newbie

Re:

Yeah tetris123, it's weird b/c the sores are generally "under control," but the virus is constantly active. I'm worried that minimal sun exposure and/or constant stress about it is/are causing the virus to stay constantly active. My dermatologist just prescribed Famvir and told me to check-back in a few months.

What does your lip generally look like? Every few days I feel the tingling and see the early stages of a white blister - but with a black dot in the middle. It's weird. But with treatment (famvir, lysine, etc.) it goes away in a matter of 1-3 days, only to have another one start to tingle in the same general location.

Anyway, I'm willing to try cod liver oil tablets but there isn't a ton of research showing its benefits. Let's hope it works...