1. Hi there Guest :)

To use the full features of our Support Community, including searching, chatting and asking questions, please sign up for a free account on the right or log in.

sepreh soap long term relief?

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by helied2me, Nov 4, 2007.

1. helied2me

helied2me Well-Known Member

I was viewing some older posts and some members were talking about sepreh soap. I am wondering if those of you who have used it are still using it and whether or not you still get some relief with this product. And could you also tell me if the package it arrives in is discreet because I can see from the website that the soap box itself clearly states that it is a cold sore soap. Would really like some positive input but prefer the truth.
  2. Caliope

Caliope Well-Known Member

I used Supreh for a while when newly diagnosed and although I keep it on hand I don't use it regularly.

I have ghsv and I am in my 40's and I found for myself that it was too drying for my skin. It might be something you'd want to use during an actual ob to get stuff to dry and heal quickly but for everyday use I found it to be too harsh.

As for the packaging I don't remember if it was discreet , I purchased 3 bars at one time, however just the word Supreh is Herpes backwards. It did arrive quickly as I recall.
  3. helied2me

Thanks Caliope, I'll see if I can't get this OB under control before I consider purchasing it.
  4. Caliope

The things I always go back to are epsom salts baths and pure soap and water.

I also like to use the occasional Aveeno "Active Naturals" bath powder for poison oak. The colloidal oatmeal is quite soothing.

The biggest concern for me is to soothe the itch and to stop the pain.

I admit I have indulged the impulse to scratch and at times have caused myself more pain because of injuries to the skin. When this happens there is the risk for bacterial infection and I have applied Neosporin lightly over the injury if there are no herpes sores, blisters or lesions.

If you have blisters or open sores do not apply any product with petroleum. Avoid any preparations with hydrocortisone.

Ultimately I have found that clean and dry encourages the quickest healing. Be gentle with your body.

I also have found for myself that larger than average doses of lysine are more effective for me.
  5. helied2me

I will try some of those, fortunately I have not had any obvious blisters but I do get cuts. I know people here say not to use petroleum products but I find that if I use a Carmex lip balm in the squeeze tube it gives me a lot of itch relief and keeps the cuts from constantly breaking open. I don't know if it's making this Ob last so long but I some how doubt it. I have disciplined my self not to scratch mosquito bites so I have been able to not scratch the itch, which is quite a feat for an OB that has lasted 5 weeks so far! I have been taking the lysine combo supplements offer thru Global Herbal. I take 1- 3x a day, each has 625 mg of lysine, should I take more? I read some posts here where others keep having constant outbreaks and it is just so discouraging, as I fear that is what will happen with me. Do you take anti-virals? I'm considering asking for some and wondered if my gyno even knows which strength to prescribe. Will I ever have a day where I don't have any signs of anything down there?
  6. Caliope

helied2me - I also do not get blisters or sores. In 10 years I have had a total of 2. This makes it confusing and my dr's were reluctant to diagnose me and sent me in every direction known to man. I do however get constant itching and just lately that paper cut thing. Just when I find great products that help with the itch they are discontinued or become impossible to find.

I have taken antiviral medications since February of this year. I started out taking Acyclovir and now I take Famvir. I also take herbal supplements and have tested the waters of the alkaline diet theory which I believe has a lot of merit.

Staying away from arginine rich foods is something I figured out without knowing the reason it worked before I knew that what I experienced was caused by a virus. I simply chalked it up to allergies and sensitive skin. Nuts, corn and too many grains such as wheat and oats trigger itching for me.

I'm 10 years older now than when this started and hormones definitely contribute. I am now supplementing with phytoestrogens etc. for the two weeks directly following my period to see if this will help. This includes drinking teas that contain licorice root (licorice shouldn't be taken without consulting your dr first.)

I don't recommend that everyone take these supplements but they are working for me. I take a minimum of 1500 mg. of lysine daily and sometimes as much as 3000 mg. I have a vitamin regime designed to increase immune function as a whole which includes, lysine, siberian ginseng, vitamin c, bioflavanoids, vitamin d, co-enzyme b complex, quercetin, probiotics, fish oils, calcium and chelated magnesium. I tried olive leaf and echinacea and they didn't help me but they are helpful for many people.
  7. helied2me

I hate to ask another question Caliope but maybe you can help again. I should get my igG type 2 test result today and was going to ask for some anti-virals. Do you think it might help this OB? My Gyno doesn't seem to know a lot about hsv and I wonder if she'll prescribe something with enough mg's. How many mg's do you take? Do you take them only during outbreaks or as suppressive therapy? And do you have the itch without an OB?
  8. Caliope

I take suppressive which is daily.

Famvir 1 500 mg. tablet split in two and 1/2 in a.m. and p.m.

When I took the Acyclovir daily suppressive it was 1 pill 2 times daily and they were 400 mg. each.

For Valtrex I understand that the suppressive dose is 1 pill once daily and it is 500 mg.

Your question: yes unfortunately I still get itching even with suppressive. It is reduced and I don't get the sciatic pain any longer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    For ob's. I took the Acyclovir 400 mg. pills 3 times a day for 10 days but some recommend a smaller dose 5 times a day. I think that Valtrex is 1 500 mg. twice a day for 10 days.
  9. helied2me

Thanks again, That gives me something to compare with what she prescribes.