1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

So... um why does my dentist need to know I have GENITAL herpes?

Discussion in 'Personal Experience with Herpes' started by CloverGirl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. CloverGirl

CloverGirl Member

Ok, for starters I have both oral and genital. The page I had to fill out asked if I had any of the health conditions. I checked yes for fever blister/cold sore because they are going to be in my mouth and I felt it was right for them to know. However, I did not check the box labeled genital herpes. It's a very small family dentist office and I don't want them talking bad about me. My main concern is why on God's green earth do they need to know about my genitals unless they were planning to rape me or something? :confused:
  2. CDFPC

CDFPC Active Member

I've recently been to my dentist and never recall ever being asked any questions about hsv. My dentist wears rubber gloves before I am ever touched. Why care? You checked the box NO for genital herpes, just leave it at that.
    As far as not wanting anyone to know about your status and thinking they will all talk bad about you...can't help you there. I just know how I deal with that. I don't give 2 lousy shits who knows. It's quite liberating when you don't care what anyone thinks of you.
    Having herpes doesn't make ME dirty or disgusting and I'm not the least bit ashamed, nor do I live with any shame for having it.
  3. Madeline

Madeline Active Member

My dentist's office asks the same thing and I thought it was weird also. Vagina dentata, maybe? I marked yes to genital herpes as a way to get myself over my self-inflicted shame but it does seem like an odd thing to ask. Maybe it's just a standard form that all medical offices use?