1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

symptoms persisting for several weeks even on Valtrex?

Discussion in 'About My Outbreaks' started by lotstobegratefulfor, Jan 4, 2010.

1. lotstobegratefulfor

lotstobegratefulfor Newbie

Starting about 6 months after my initial outbreak, which was quite mild, I have been suffering from almost constant symptoms of tingling, redness and burning sensations for about 6 weeks now. The symptoms will subside for at most a day and then return again. I've been on suppressive therapy for these past 6 six weeks, with seemingly no affect. Is this normal? My Dr. doesn't seem to know what to do with me. It's really discouraging because I'm really concerned about transmission. Has anyone had symptoms endure this long?
  2. GntiNh

GntiNh Staff Member Super Moderator

You have had a rough time. Have you thought to trying Acyclovir instead of Valtrex? Some members have had more success with it.
  3. justmyself

justmyself Active Member

Maybe try things to strengthen your immune system. See Immune System Tips on the right side of this page. Taking Lysine can help with symptoms too. It sounds like your body just isn't getting a handle on the virus. It will get better with time, but try to eat right, get plenty of sleep and reduce stress, if you can. Good luck!
  4. lotstobegratefulfor

lotstobegratefulfor Newbie

Isn't Acyclovir essentially the same as Valtrex?

Thanks for the support. This is surprising, especially since I went for 6 months without any symptoms. I'm in excellent health and I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, sleeping a lot and eating well. I will try lysine (though I've read that studies don't support its effectiveness). Isn't acyclovir essentially the same as valtrex? Is it possible I have a drug-resistant strain of the virus?
  5. GntiNh

GntiNh Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know the actual medical difference between the two, but some members have posted that they have had more or less success with either or, if that makes sense lol.

Some people have had side effects with one and not with the other. Some people can't get both anti-virals, or can only afford one.
  6. Couragous

Couragous Newbie

had that before

Hi,
    I'm having that same problem. The OB will kind of leave and they will appear again. It is very irritable. I'm gona try to boost my mune system up. If that don't seem to work than I'm going to the doctor.

Couragous