1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Taking a bath?

Discussion in 'Sex, Kissing and Intimacy' started by InShock, Feb 21, 2007.

1. InShock

InShock Member

Is herpes transmittable through water? Can I take a bath with someone who does not have H, as long as there is no genital skin contact?
  2. mrstaylor5

mrstaylor5 Member

I was really surprised at this answer actually. It was from WebMD

Dear Anonymous Bather: You seem to have been successfully precautionary about bathing together, and marriage at large, since the virus infection has not spread to your wife of 12 years. Some items to consider which might help you are: 42?C is not an ideal temperature for the virus, so your bath water, while not a virus killer, does not promote its survival. However, that is only +5? above normal body temperature where HSV survives. The information suggests that you are not likely a shedder which makes your son?s safety more optimistic under the conditions you described. Avoidance of skin-skin contact enhances the safety factor for your son, but it does not protect him completely. Prudence might be a reason to consult your doctor about why you might be having more frequent episodes than you have experienced in the past. The fact that you have an HSV infection poses some risk to your family of cross-infection. You could alter your household bathing habits and lower the risk to your son further or you could continue what is probably an immensely familialy intimate experience with the realization that some risk of infectiousness may be there.
  3. BoxofRain

BoxofRain Active Member

under another area on this site I posted something I found interesting...here it is again:

"To infect people, the herpes simplex viruses (both 1 and 2) must access the body through broken skin or a mucous membrane such as inside the mouth or on the genital area. Each virus can be carried in bodily fluids (such saliva, semen, fluid in the female genital tract) or in fluid from herpes sores. The risk for infection is highest with direct contact of blisters or sores during an outbreak."

Also, on another website (http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...al/herpes.html)

it says "Herpes simplex virus type 2 can be passed in the urine or genital discharge of an infected person."

In both cases, people who are infected can have no symptoms of an active infection, and can unknowingly spread the infection to another person.

so, theres a lot to consider.....is it highly likely...maybe not but still possible i think. If the other person has cuts, or anything they may be able to get it that way, but some people will argue its impossible but it makes you wonder...follow your gut instincts and decided with the other person if they feel ok with it.
  4. InShock

InShock Member

Thanks for the info.