1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Which is worse? Oral Hsv1 or Oral Hsv2?

Discussion in 'Personal Experience with Herpes' started by veryunlucky, Jun 2, 2011.

1. veryunlucky

veryunlucky Newbie

Does anyone know which is worse to have? Oral 1 or oral 2? And why? Thanks!
  2. JBnATL

JBnATL Staff Member Super Moderator

The main difference between hsv1 and hsv2 is their site of preference. HSV1 prefers oral and HSV2 prefers genital. While you can get either one in either site if you get HSV1 genital it typically is not as bad as HSV2 genital. The same goes for HSV2 oral it typically isn't as bad as HSV1 oral.

But everyone is different. Some people don't suffer at all with genital HSV2 and some people do suffer with HSV1 genital. It really has to do with a person's immune system. If they do not have a good immune system they may tend to suffer with either 1 or 2.

Come to the Chat Room, there you will meet many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB
  3. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

Another point in this discussion is the likelihood of passing HSV along to someone else.

Most folks who have a type of HSV that is "out of place" from the site of preference have fewer outbreaks. So that would apply to Genital HSV1 and Oral HSV2.

Not only do they they have fewer outbreaks, they also have less frequent asymptomatic viral shedding.

So when the virus type is "out of place," it is less likely to be spread to another person.

Oral HSV2 is considered the least likely of the 4 possible combinations to reoccur, and the least likely to shed, so theoretically it is also the least likely to spread.

:wavey:
  4. veryunlucky

veryunlucky Newbie

Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it! Can Hsv 1 be predominately inside your mouth rather than outside your lips? My symptoms are inside my mouth and on the sides of my cheeks like patches of small white blisters. They also occur on the roof of my mouth and on my gums. I am so worried it is 2 due to the stigma attached.
  5. RealisticGal

The stigma is attached to the location, not the strain.
    The stigma is all about it being associated with having sex, which goes to our pseudo-Victorian morality.

It's really silly, because we all (for the most part) want to have sex. But then we disparage other folks when they do. Ridiculous. :(

HSV1 and HSV2 are almost identical, even when looking at the DNA under a microscope. The sores do not look any different, even if they were outside your mouth.

Even if you do have Oral HSV2, nobody can look at you and say, "Oh, you have HSV2, not HSV1!" So if all you have is OHSV, you will likely skip out on the attached stigma, for the most part.

It is all a manufactured, false stigma anyway. It did not exist until a few decades ago, even though herpes has been known for over 4000 years. The stigma arose right around the same time acyclovir was invented. What a funny "coincidence!"

6. voltairechic

voltairechic Newbie

Hi there, I've been diagnosed with Oral HSV2, and mine is exclusively inside my mouth. My initial outbreak presented as a very sore, infected throat (which doctors initially thought was strep, but did a culture and found out was HSV2), along with bumps in the back of my mouth and on the side of my tongue. I also had a fever, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes. I've never had a cold sore outside my mouth at all. I've read that HSV1 is more likely to present as cold sores while HSV2 is more likely to be inside the mouth when acquired orally, but I don't know if this always holds true.

I'm encouraged to read people saying that Oral HSV2 is the least likely to recur, shed, and spread, but after being diagnosed less than 2 months ago, I'm already having another mild outbreak on the side of my tongue. So I'm not sure if I'll be one of the lucky ones whose HSV doesn't recur. I guess I just have to wait and see what kind of pattern develops over the coming months.

As for the original question, I don't think you can really say either type is "worse," other than the fact that Oral HSV2 is more rare and makes me personally feel like a bit of a freak for having it, since everyone thinks HSV2 is "genital". And on the practical side, it means it's a lot harder to find accurate information about this particular form of HSV because of it being a rare combination. But I'm trying to just take it day by day and not worry too much about it.
  7. WhatDoYou

WhatDoYou Newbie

plpl jwelkw
  8. Doublekegbelly

Doublekegbelly No longer a member

To the person of the first question:

HSV2 is worse orally!!!, but then again, hsv2 orally;you dont really get ob's because its not in its comfortable state to get ob's. You get less ob's but then again everyone is different. HSV1 is most common for coldsores above the waistline. :)
  9. clarke53

clarke53 Member

the fact that people think that herpes 1 and 2 have a place of preference i don't think that is true i have hsv oral 2 i have 3 or more ob a month if you have oral sex with someone that has genital type 2 you will have oral type 2 the virus don't care where it is it don't say opps wrong place can't go there.i also have type one on my butt cheeks it don't mind being there just my thoughts
  10. veryunlucky

veryunlucky Newbie

clarke53,

Hi, were u diagnosed (orally) thru a swab test? What are your oral symptoms? How long have you had oral type2? Thanks!
  11. clarke53

clarke53 Member

yes oral swab had it for 4 years now i get a shallow ulser on the lower inside of lip and i get obs on the inside of my cheeks i use h-balm for them and it works great but not so good on hsv type 2 on my butt cheeks.
  12. clarke53

clarke53 Member

oh and for me hsv 1 is worse even though i get 3 or more obs a month with the oral i can control them with h-balm as soon as one comes on i put a dab on and there gone in a day or two.
  13. clarke53

clarke53 Member

i meant type 1 on butt cheeks
  14. Matmaria

Matmaria No longer a member

Hi....im New to this site and to herpes. So my question, what is the difference between hsv 1 gential to hsv 2 genital and hsv 1 oral to hsv 2 oral ? I have hsv 2 oral and everyone says that is very rare !
  15. RealisticGal

There isn't a really easy answer to your question, Matmaria. The thing is, each person has a different experience with HSV from every other person, no matter where they have it or what type. Many folks who have HSV are not even aware they do, because they have such mild symptoms (or none at all). But others have a very tough time with symptoms, at least at first.

This article might help a bit, though:

"Good" Virus/"Bad" Virus -- the Truth About HSV-I and HSV-II

:wavey: