1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Woke up and a clear dime sized no pain blister appeared on my upper thigh

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by ruggy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ruggy

ruggy Member

I woke up this morning, and I saw a clear dime sized no pain blister appeared on my upper thigh. No pain with or without touching it. Put a bandaid on it and went to the doc. I asked him what he thought it was. He said a blister. I asked do you think it is Herpes? He then checked my mouth and genitals, no signs of Herpes. He said don't think so. I asked for him to culture it. Now waiting ten days. He popped it and cultured it. Asked should I go on Valtrex? He said I am not putting you on anything now. Just relax and stop putting yourself through this. When I got home, I took the bandaid off, and looks like a scar. No pain, but I wanted to see if it was infected so I poured Hydrogen Peroxide on it. No pain or fizzling. Then I poured alcohol on it. Nothing. The only time it hurt was when I pulled the bandaid off cause I took some hair along with it.

I will also say, I started to taking Olive Leaf Extract and Andrographis a couple of days ago. Not sure if that had anything to do with this or not. Also, my laptop, which very hot at times, is usually laying on that area, so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
  2. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

The question that remains is....which you may have left out (accidentally) - if you are questioning whether its Herpes or not ...is:

Did you have sex with someone protected/unprotected recently or in the recent past which may lead you to believe you contracted Herpes from them?

There is no reason to believe that it would be Herpes if you had your laptop in your lap. But if you had unprotected sex, your best bet is to get a blood test done.
  3. ruggy

ruggy Member

Never had unprotected sex. Nothing also on my mouth, fingers or genital area. My long term girlfriend had shingles and was tested three times inconclusive for HSV. Her doc told her not to worry about it and never prescribed anything for her to take. Subsequently she went to three other two other docs and they said the same. She had a full STD screening too, no STDs.
  4. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

Singles is very contagious and as you may already know occurs (USUALLY) in older adults who have had chicken pox in their younger years. To be quite honest, I'm not sure of the prevalence of shingles happening in younger adults (as I am not sure of your age).

Did you mention to your doctor the case of your girlfriend?

In any case - keep an eye on it. I'm sure you will be ok :)
  5. ruggy

ruggy Member

Yes. He did not change his posture. I had to push for a culture on the water blister on the leg and then he also did a urethra swab. I said should I tell my girlfriend about this? He said, what are you going to tell her? You have a painless single water blister on the top of your leg? He said stop getting so worked up and just relax until we get the results and then left the room. The shingles were like a rash across her back I am told. One would hope, if her OBGYN thought there was an issue, she would had prescribed Valtrex or something. Regardless, my doc, when I asked for it, he said I am not prescribing anything at this stage. So, it does not seem like he was too concerned.

Like I said, I did start taking Olive Leaf Extract, Echinacea, Cat's Claw and Andrographis. I did get some bad stomach pains yesterday and burning going and and two. The burning has subsided. However, I am curious to know if one of those four herbs caused the water blister.
  6. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

I doubt it. How many side effects do you know about in anything that are 'water blisters?' - side effects that are common in anything tend to be nausea, headache, rash, dizziness....things like that.

A specific 'blister' is something else.

Be very diligent with your doctor. My doctor dismissed all my symptoms before I was diagnosed and I went a whole month without medication, and genital herpes can occur ANYWHERE in the boxer short region. Leg, buttocks, directly on the genitals, inside of the thigh, lower back. etc.

Not that I am trying to scare you or anything, but I would just pay close attention to it.
  7. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

and wait a sec....

Your girlfriend was diagnosed with shingles and they never gave her anti-virals?

Usually thats protocol. Hmmm.......
  8. ruggy

ruggy Member

I read that Olive Leaf Extract can cause pimples during the die off stage. That was what I was referring to. While I understand HSV can appear anywhere, one would gather if it appeared on the leg, it would also appear in a region that had direct contact with her genitals. We did a lot of oral, nothing there (thank G-d). Fingers, nothing there (thank G-d). Nothing around my mouth, lips, chin, or tongue (thank G-d). No fever, upset stomach, back pain, pelvic pain, headache, pain from the said water blister, no pain from popping the water blister (doc did), and now it looks like a red line thing. So, really not sure here...

This was when she was in her teens I think. I am sure, back then, they did.
  9. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

OOOH! Ok - you didn't specify WHEN she had shingles....but I've never heard of someone having 'shingles' in their teens. Usually its chickenpox. Ironically, I had chicken pox in my teens as well. It was awful! I would confirm with her just to be certain what exactly it was. Its a different strain of Herpes altogether. Its' neither HSV1 or 2, I think it's Herpes Zoster.

A pimple and a blister? Do you honestly think they look the same?

I won't get into this further because I don't want to undermine what your doctor is telling you.

Best thing to do - is wait for the swab results.

Best of luck to you.
  10. ruggy

ruggy Member

Not really sure.. I am grasping at straws here. When I compared it to other pictures on the Internet, it looked nothing like them. Looked kinda like this:

[​IMG]

It now looks like it's barely there.

Positive on the shingles. She's said it several times.
  11. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

that clearly looks like a blister to me - I am 1000000% sure. I've never seen a pimple look like that ever.

Like I said - keep an eye on it, and be diligent with your doctor.

And just to point out - herpes is a tricky virus - you mentioned that Herpes usually shows where the initial point of contact was - but this is not always the case.

I caught Herpes from a dishonest man WHILE using a condom. I get outbreaks on my cervix all the time and irritation on my labia (sorry TMI). So, its not always the case.

Oh yeah...and I also had an OB on my spine once.

Then again - diagnosing a photo on the internet from a bunch of strangers is not always wise. I would suggest a second opinion maybe.

Not only that - but if you are coming onto a forum for Herpes....there must be some reason why you suspect it. Otherwise you wouldn't be here, right?

Best of luck
  12. ruggy

ruggy Member

Was thinking it might be herpes cause she tested inconclusive to the test several times. That was why. However, of the photos of herpes, none of them look like the one I posted, so I am not sure. I am assuming that is why the doc thought I was crazy for requesting the culture.
  13. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

To put it in perspective for you:

For some strange reason, many doctors are old fashioned about the virus and only believe that Herpes appear as sores on the genitals and nowhere else. There are MANY OTHER symptoms of Herpes that many people dismiss because they automatically think it's not related to Herpes. Same with doctors.

My outbreaks consist of itching and burning. I have never ever seen a sore or a lesion in my life. Herpes can mask itself like that. Scary huh? And here i thought it was a yeast infection..... :(

Genital Herpes affects the nerve fibers of the skin resulting in blisters, and resides in the nerve ganglia of the spine when it goes into latency. Then again, you don't need me to tell you that because I am sure you've done your research.

If your girlfriends tests have come back 'inconclusive' and not 'NEGATIVE', you need to talk to her and ask her if she has ever had any exposure to Herpes in the past, and have her retested with a TYPE SPECIFIC TEST (Usually HerpesSelect). Its important that you both be very thorough with your STD screening if you are suspecting something like Herpes. It's not like it's Chlamydia or Gonhorrea, this is an incurable STD, that for the most part is harmless, but is VERY CONTAGIOUS.

And for the record, Herpes is worse for women than it is for men, and this is part of the reason why it's so easily spread because alot of men don't even know they have it or dismiss symptoms as something else.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  14. ruggy

ruggy Member

Yes, I am aware. She said she never had any symptoms, outbreaks and none of her previous partners, one which she had unprotected sex with for many years ever contracted Herpes. Thus is why her docs think it is a false positive. Either way, I will know from that culture within about a week. I do not want to scare her, so I will not plan to tell her until I get the tests back. If I am positive, then, she should get tested too. I just know, if it is positive, it will kill her. In the reasoning that she infected another person. Me, well, I am sure it will have a negative effect too. However, it is what it is. Cannot do anything about it now. Wish the culture did not take so long to complete. The next week is going to be hell. Very hard to keep a upbeat face in this situation. If there is a G-d, boy do I need him now...

Just hope, in the worse case scenario, she doesn't push me away and break it off with me. That is all. To be honest, I would probably not date again if it were to be positive. Being in my 20's, it will be hard, but again, it is what it is.. How ironic that she was my first. And now, could be my last... Gotta love life...
  15. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

What test did she have? If it was the herpeselect test, you need to know (and MANY DOCTORS do not know this) that the reference values for that test are skewed. Experts in herpes say that the lowest value that should be considered a definite positive on the herpeselect test is 3.5. Anything below that, especially in the absence of symptoms, is probably not positive.

Has she only been tested one time? If so, a second test using a different type of kit would be recommended.

Shingles is not herpes simplex. It is caused by the Varicella Zoster Virus. They are not the same. Though they are in the herpesviridae family, they are not the same at all. So I'm uncertain as to why you think you would get HSV from her.
  16. ruggy

ruggy Member

Yes, I am aware about the difference between the Herpes families. It was an IGG test. She was tested three times. Each time inconclusive. Considering she was/is my only sex partner ever, it is hard to imagine me getting it from anywhere else. Not to mention the location. On the top of my leg? Very weird. She said the docs said the false positive was probably due to the Shingles antibodies. She was tested for it years ago, nothing recent. Since I knew it would be a fight to get her to take the test, and since this thing appeared on my leg, I decided to take the culture.
  17. RealisticGal

RealisticGal Well-Known Member

A few things, then. Some of them just my personal thoughts on the subject.

IgG-based tests should not cross-react with VZV. That is a possibility with IgM-based testing, but not so much with IgG. You probably know that.

If her tests were taken a long time ago, the technology has improved. Perhaps a new test now would be more conclusive. You probably know that too.

If this woman cares for you, and wishes to continue being intimate, I would think she would be willing to take a test now to help you feel more at ease.

Have you ever had an IgG blood test yourself? I mean, prior to this situation.

Take care...
  18. ruggy

ruggy Member

It might of been IGM, I really do not know which of them. She told me once and I get the initials confused sometimes. We talked about it last weekend and it was a big argument. She said she doesn't want to know. She said she cannot handle the chance it is or could be positive. She would go into a deep depression and wouldn't know what to do. I did not push it. This came up because she wanted to stop using condoms and just use birth control. And I said I wouldn't do that without a Western Blot test. Anyways, if is positive for me, I guess we do not need condoms anymore... Of course, I would also immediately go on Valtrex and insist for her to do the same. Me, no. I never had a blood test. After four months, I was going to get a Western Blot done, but this scare pushed me to do the culture. I am different for her, as I want to know what I do or do not have.
  19. Kitty123

Kitty123 VIP Member

'Not wanting to know' will not make the situation go away. It will always be in the back of both of your minds.

I understand that your perception of Herpes is not a pleasant one. Heck, it wasn't a pleasant one of mine either. But I educated myself about it, and like I said earlier. My outbreaks consist of itching ONLY! I have yet to see a sore.

I strongly suggest you talk to your girlfriend and encourage her to get tested. Perhaps you can both do it together at the same time. Don't make it look like the pressure is all on her. Be there for each other. Do this together. Then it won't seem like one is blaming the other.

But your girlfriend cannot avoid this. This is not something to 'avoid' when it comes to your sexual health. If in fact she is in 'denial' of something or 'doesn't want to know' - that is not the attitude to have unfortunately.
  20. ruggy

ruggy Member

I get that and I said something very similar to her. I will work on her more in terms of the testing. However, back to my test. I was over to the CDC and it said that HSV cannot be transmitted to another person through saliva or bodily fluids. Plus, there are small bumps or redness first, then a blister. Nothing looks or describes what I have/had. I mean, it looked like a smooth bubble. Similar to what you blow with gum. Plus, even if she was straddling my leg up and down, why would it only be in one area? Wouldn't be through the entire area she straddled my leg? Also, nothing at or around the penis. We also used natural condoms, not latex. Finally, I also gave her oral for north of 10 minutes.

Do you see, in my case, nothing adds up for it to be HSV?