1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

2 Years living with HSV-2 Update... My wife is still HSV-2 FREE !!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal Experience with Herpes' started by Philowens, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Philowens

Philowens Newbie

I had a blood test almost 2 yrs ago and i guess i have hsv-2 the doc told me. Before i had the test about a year and a half ago, one night i noticed a lump on my penis then the next day my penis hole was irritated and it burned when i urinated ( drinkin lots of water made the burning go away). Since then i have had no irritation or buring when i urinate. My wife accepted the fact that i had hsv-2 when i told her. I guess it was from a one night stand right before i started dating her back in 2009. The starng thing is , since i found out i had hsv-2 me and my wife have had regular sex without condoms. I havent changed my diet at all. Im a thin guy and love to eat and drink my beer a few days a week.......My wife just had a full std and and annual bloodwork done and it showed she only has hsv-1........Is it normal not to pass hsv-2 to a partner? Is it true i could have a very minor strain of hsv-2....I was told there are no minor strains of hsv-2. Or are we very lucky she never got it? Anyway, i am very glad i never passed it to her. I live everyday like i dont even have the virus. Does anybody else have a story like this?
  2. Scarlet1985

Scarlet1985 Newbie

You sound pretty lucky to me. I am terrified of transmitting it to my girlfriend.
  3. Number7

Number7 Well-Known Member

Philowens

It could be one of many things: She just will never get the virus (because of an immunity she posesses), she will get (or has) the virus but will never show antibodies nor symptoms; She has the virus but will take time (years?) before ever showing antibodies or symptoms or eventuall show antibodies but not symptoms--They just don't know enough about this virus to even have highly accurate testing - at least not as accurate as the testing is for HIV (thankfully). Does she have hsv1?
  4. Philowens

Philowens Newbie

hsv-1

yes she tested positive for hsv-1......Index was 0.60
  5. Number7

How about you -- do you have hsv1 as well as hsv2
  6. MyWingsRbroken

MyWingsRbroken Member

Is it possible that having hsv1...has created a natural immunity to hsv2? Like cox pox creating an immunity to small pox b/c it was a milder form of the virus??
  7. Hottfoxxy

Hottfoxxy Active Member

Having hsv 1 posses a little bit of an immunity but not very much because I have both strains
  8. Number7

But having hsv1 initially might hide symptoms of hsv2 for awhile until the antibodies build up -- remember hsv1 and hsv2 share 50% of their dna and the antibodies can cross-react
  9. armi1424

armi1424 Newbie

When I met my now wife of 12 years she told me she had herpes. I loved her and looked passed it. We used protection and tried to be very careful the first 15 months, but I finally got it. In a way it was almost a blessing, because we or mostly she worried about it. It really became a mute issue to me over time, I expected I would eventually get it, but I loved her and knew we would marry. Over the next years I seldom got outbreaks, it's probably been 7 years since my last one, I can't remember it.
  10. HTXgirl

HTXgirl Active Member

That is not a positive test result. "positive" is considered to be an index of 1.1 and higher. 0.60 is negative. Are you sure this is what her index value was? See the link for index values and how to interpret them.

http://www.stdtestexpress.com/herpes-test/
  11. Number7

I believe in the Herpeselect test .91 - 1.09 would be considered Equivocal and 1.09 or over would be considered positive -- that is stated on the test; however, they seem to have changed the numbers to 3.5 or higher is considered positive and anything 1.09 to 3.5 would be suggested as a possible false positive so retesting is recommended

What test did she take - do you know?
  12. Number7

armi1424 - Did you, by chance, have hsv1 before acquiring hsv2?
  13. Philowens

Philowens Newbie

Yes i have both
  14. Philowens

Philowens Newbie

They said it was 0.60 and it was hsv-1
  15. Philowens

Philowens Newbie

Ill have her do another test
  16. Number7

Are you also "sure" you've had the right testing?---what if you never had it?--it would be no wonder that she did not acquire it!
  17. armi1424

armi1424 Newbie

No...I had a few scares I thought was herpes before I got it both negative, til I got it...
  18. Number7

How did you realize you had it - A test or an outbreak?
  19. armi1424

armi1424 Newbie

Well, my now wife gave it to me, but I knew she had it when we started dating. I ran to the Doctor a few times I had a small pimple that he wouldn't even test. Finally got it a few years later, no sores, just woke up to pee and felt like fire was coming out of my member. I had no sores showing, but the Doc stuck a swab down my pee hole, results positve .
  20. Number7

Wow - that must've hurt!! So you never had an outbreak that bad again and you have tested positive for hsv2 but not hsv1?