1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

question about baking soda treatment?

Discussion in 'Coping with Outbreaks in Every Day Life' started by tetris, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tetris

tetris Newbie

has anyone applied baking soda to the affected area and had it BURN AND STING AND HURT REALLY UNGODLY FREAKING BAD?

i'm so ...i don't know what to do about the pain anymore, i took the day off of work and am on my first day of valtrex, but this is crippling (and i have a very high pain tolerance). but i can't go to work if it means i have to come home and hop in the shower every time i have to pee. or you know, dissolve into a crying screaming puddle on the floor.

so i tried the baking soda thing (after about 5 days of miss-treatments for a non-existent yeast infection).

oh god, it hurts. it hurts so bad! everything that people say is supposed to provide soothing relief: BURNS

i don't know what to do at all.

pain killers don't really help with this.
  2. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

Hi Tetris, welcome to the forum!

I've never read to put baking soda directly on an outbreak. Where did you hear about that? It would be like putting salt on a wound, I would think....OUCH!

Try and drink plenty of water to dilute your urine. Also, when you pee, lean as far forward as you can to redirect the flow. Some people have a squirt bottle of water to squirt on themselves while they pee to help.

Taking a bath w/2cups epsom salts will help soothe, and begin drying out the ob to heal.

You can ask your doctor for a perscription of lidocaine to numb the area, some get relief with that. Altough I've read that it stings when applied at first.

Eat lots of fresh greens and vegi's, fruit, and drink fresh water. It will help calm your system.

I hope you feel better soon!
  3. tetris

tetris Newbie

thank you for the speedy reply.

one of the places i read about the baking soda was here:
    http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_home_remedies.htm
    right on this site.

i got 20mL of lidocaine gel from the ER on saturday. it STINGS really bad at first and doesn't seem to help much with pain overall.

took 2 percocet right now, been trying to drink a lot but i fell asleep earlier for about 3 hours, going to the bathroom after was really, really wretched.

feeling so utterly craptastic right now.
  4. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

Tetris, I read that to be a treatment for facial outbreak (coldsores), not the tender skin down below. That must have stung like a MoFo :shock:...I'm sorry!

I think it might be a good idea to not apply anything else and let your skin calm down. If anything I would recommend the bath w/epsom salts and then using a blow dryer on low/cool to dry yourself.

I have an idea you are going to feel better tomorrow when you wake up...the worst part doesn't usually last too long.

Get as comfy as you can and let the pain pills kick in....hopefully you'll sleep like a baby! ;)
  5. tetris

tetris Newbie

oh jeez, i feel like such a freaking moron! taking a shower tonight, but planning on picking up some epsom salts tomorrow. debating trying the lidocaine gel again before i go to bed.

i'm just...i'm desperate, and depressed and i feel like i can't go on right now, you know?

and i know my case is not special or unique and i should just deal with it. but...

i feel like my whole world is over right now, insignificant as it may be.
  6. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

Your life is very significant!! It's Your Life!!

I understand how you feel completely, I really do. I can tell you from my experience that I felt as you do now, and it really does get better! I promise! Let us know how your doing?

I hope today is a better day! ;)
  7. tetris

tetris Newbie

a bit better going today. had an aveeno oatmeal bath last night. not using the lidocaine today. there's still some discomfort and mild stinging but it's gone from like:

being stabbed with fiery knives made out of fire

to

mild twinge of discomfort

in that i'm able to work and actually use bathrooms at work without any problems (noticeable)

so...better?

except i'm really nauseous, and now i think i'm catching a cold (most likely from coming to work where everyone has a damn cold)
  8. Shayna

Shayna VIP Member

I'm sooo glad today is a better day for you! I'd take mild twinge any day to firey knife! :shock:

A friend of mine from here used to use the Aveeno oatmeal bath and she loved it, I had forgotten about that stuff! That's Fabulous it soothed your poor painful parts ;)
  9. teenie12

teenie12 Newbie

omg i did the baking soda thing too..literally was in the fetal position crying...unreallll...try peroxide, but dont go nuts with it..it really helps but if you use it too much itll dry you out down there and youll itch like crazy
  10. tetris

tetris Newbie

yeah, i feel like such an idiot. i was just desperate for something topical that could ease the pain/soothe the area because it was horrible. and lidocaine gel wasn't really doing much of anything.

the aveeno oatmeal bath stuff seems to be pretty good, though. i don't know if it's making things better or stopping or what but the bottom line is: it didn't hurt.

cuz for a while there, even running water over the affected bits HURT.
  11. alittlenothing

alittlenothing Member

Baking soda SOAKS can be good--maybe half a teaspoon dissolved in a cup of warm water. It can see why it would be really irritating if applied in powder form, though. Glad to hear you're feeling better and have found some effective (and painless) home remedies!
  12. Terror

Terror Newbie

Ahh I did this the a couple of days ago too! I'm having my second outbreak, and it's not so much painful as just downright itchy this time, so I tried putting the baking soda down there before a night out to try and calm things down a bit... It just made it about 10 times worse! I swear it was getting better, I did that, and now there are even more sores, and I spent the whole night feeling like I'd poured a tonne of grit down my pants! Eek!
  13. memyselfI

memyselfI Active Member

hsv vs you

the virus is in the boxing ring with your immune system. Virus throws punches like a maniac, you immune system gets some hits and you start to feel better, virus comes back with an lower jab (a little humor) and so on. Be good to your body, help out your team. It does get better. Time heals all wounds, physically and emotionally.

Much love!

meme
  14. cookie1978

cookie1978 Active Member

I didnt try the baking soda...I'd think that would hurt. I was eerie about the epsom, but those did help with my first ob. That went away (thank God) and now I have this ohorrible itching... if you do end up with it, try the purell. It works most of the time. I apply an after sun gel with lidocaine right after. It has a cooling sensation and I can stop scratching for more than 5 minutes!

I hope your vajayjay is way better now. Be kind to your girl parts. lol

:alberteinstein::itsme:
  15. lonelygirl

lonelygirl Newbie

i actually bought the baking soda thinking i should use it but then i thought no i have a bad feeling about this!! lol so the box is still sitting in my room, although my first outbreak is finished praise the lord! the work week of my life!!! but i appreciate being able to walk properly!!! and not wanting to cry at the thought of peeing! i was in your situation 1 week ago and its bliss when its finally over! dont stress and think positive!!!!