1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

Tagamet to suppress OBs

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by Nicoli, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Nicoli

Nicoli Member

I was reading through some older threads and I cam across one where Tagamet was referrenced as a way to suppress OBs. So, i googled tagamet herpes and came up with the following info:

http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/tatotrheands.html
    "Studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited. The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg at bedtime. Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter."

Has anyone tried this? Please share your findings with us.
  2. Acesheart

Acesheart HC Support Provider

Hey Nicoli, you may have something here! I have bleeding ulcers, I've always taken some form of milanta, tagamet, cimetidine or something for my bleeding ulcers. I've only had two outbreaks in 25 years with ghsv2. Noone has ever asked this before, but I've taken these tummy meds since I was 17 years of age. I've always had stomach issues, always taken meds for them too. Maybe this is why I've only had two outbreaks? I have also stayed on antivirals since first diagnosed. So together with my but.b12 , I don't know if this is what your talking about, but its what I've always used, way before getting h, tagamet is one of the meds I have taken on and off for decades. Truly, Ace :)
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Nicoli

Nicoli Member

If you click on the link and read the whole article you will see a quote from a pharmaceutical company regarding why Tagement will not be tested for this. Basically, since the patent ran out and there are now generics on the market there is no money in it for them. It's not about the treatment of a disease or reducing the suffering of millions of people world wide. It's about making money. Very sad example of something that we all know too well.
    Createss Galore likes this.
  4. lingolimbo

lingolimbo Member

But aren't T lymphocytes really important for the immune system? Especially regarding cancer? Not sure I would want to suppress the immune system unless absolutely necessary (like if you had the an auto immune thing like aces is talking about).
  5. Acesheart

hey yall, for years they tryed antibiotics because Dr's say ulcers are bacterial. My Dr saw it wasn't working just made vomit, therefore ulcers continued to bleed. They saw I was taking tums and Galviscon and other antacids, so they started giving prescribed strength meds. These worked. Years later I got herps and continued my tummy meds. Still they worked, I still take them. Maybe there is a relief there somewhere for outbreaks?
  6. Nicoli

Nicoli Member

Well, I am no doctor, but I do have my Masters in "Applied Google" and I looked up what the T cells do. Here's some of what I came up with:

"suppressor Regulatory T cells (Treg cells), formerly known as suppressor T cells, are crucial for the maintenance of immunological tolerance."

" Immune tolerance or immunological tolerance is the process by which the immune system does not attack an antigen."

"In immunology, an antigen is a substance that evokes the production of one or more antibodies."

So, I may be over simplifying things but it seems to me that in suppressing the regulatory T cells, you prevent them from maintaining an immunological tolerance allowing the immune system to create more antibodies to fight an antigen. H appears to be one of the targets. However, there are likely other antigens that we don't want the body to kill off. So, I don't know how good of an idea this is afterall. But, if you are only using Tagamet to block an OB once a month or less... Could it be any worse for your body than the anti-virals they do prescribe for H?

The reason why Tagamet hasn't been considered for trials to prevent H is there would be no money in it for the pharm companies. That's a big problem in Western medicine. Trying to find a cure that will also make them as much as the anti-virals do.
  7. newmember111

newmember111 Active Member

Just to add to this... I'm currently on the lookout for Tagamet to start trying it. I didn't find it at my local Walgreens store so im gonna order some online...
  8. Acesheart

Hey Nicoli, I'm not sure but having taken these anti acids for over two decades.along with antivirals and Vit.b12 complex, How Crazy would it be if this medication does assist with outbreak reductions. I've only had two ever, initial was a humdinger!!! Second very very mild. Maybe these medicines do provide some relief. I looked under Cimetidine I too saw it used for many things, including herpes outbreak reductions. I was like WOW! All these years and I was so far ahead of the game for being outbreak free, and never thought to take it for h, just my bleeding peptic ulcers. Truly, Ace :hithere:
    kamila likes this.
  9. newmember111

I'm going to start taking this as soon as my order comes in. Do you have any side effects from taking it?
  10. Acesheart

No I don't seem to have any down falls to any meds, It's my stresses that get my system down. Bleeding ulcers are the worst. But what few things I've take do work for. They keep the bleeding down and I'm assuming aid in the outbreaks since I've only had two ever in 25 years, although its never been proven . Hugs, Ace :)
  11. newmember111

Wonderful! Can't wait to try this since i really don't get OBs until a get really sick or drink alot of alcohol for a few days in a row... I'm already on a pretty strict daily suppressive stack of:

Lysiene 2500 mg x2 a day
    Bitter melon 1g x2 a day
    Ibuprofen 400 mg x2 a day
    Fish oil 2g x2 a day
    Niacin 1g x2 a day
    Creatine 4g x2 a day

Will be adding Tagamet to this 3x a day for awhile...
  12. Nicoli

Nicoli Member

Hey Newmember, looks like you are also already taking another supplement that is reputed to prevent OBs. Creatine is supposed to prevent the virus from replicating. I think it may also raise your PH levels which also suppresses replication. Creatine works by increasing the O2 levels in your muscle tissue allowing you to lift heavier or more reps before experiencing the burn. The burn I believe results in lactic acid which feeds the virus.

I started a thread months ago asking if anyone was taking creatine to help suppress OBs and what their experience has been. Can you share your findings with creatine? Are you taking it for the gym as well. How hard do you work out (light, moderate or to muscle failure)? I'd like to hear the bad as well as the good. http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?53079-Creatine-to-suppress-future-OBs
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  13. newmember111

All of the supplements I listed are for the suppression of GHSV2. Creatine is one of them. I cannot speak of how much it helps by itself because I take it constantly and I have had outbreaks while taking it. I will speak about what i can for you, I suppose.
  14. newmember111

Got in my first batch of Tagamet... Will be taking one tonight and 3x daily for awhile... I'm pretty positive I won't be getting an outbreak because it is rare for me, but I will document the effect on prodome symptoms...
  15. Acesheart

Hey newmember, I just take 20mgs a day. If my ulcers are bleeding they put me up to 40mg twice a day. So try to start with minimum dosages. It's better because your stomach needs a certain amount of acids. My stomach I'm told produces three times the normal persons stomach. Good luck keep me posted. Hugs Ace :)
  16. newmember111

Ok, I guess I will try to take it once a day then?
  17. Acesheart

Hey newmember, yes certainly start low dose. I've had bleeding ulcers most my life, I've been hospitalized for them. They keep me on maintenance levels. 20mg is the desired level. It seems to keep the acids down. I don't eat spicy foods, or things like citrus. It's why I don't take vitamin C. Even buffered Vit.C gives me problems. I get plenty of nutrition in the foods I do eat. We actually grow most all our own veggies. I have blueberry trees, yes blueberries grow on trees, not tiny bushes. People have asked that a lot. Antioxidants are loaded in blueberries. They are so versital. I use them for everything. What you eat can either add acids to the stomach and the acids we have in our tummies serve a purpose. So please start at 20mg. Hugs, let me know too. Hugs, Ace :hithere:
  18. newmember111

I'm really confused as to how Tagamet hasn't gotten more attention on this forum... It seems like it would be a great and cheap thing to try for anyone!
    gjplaceres and Createss Galore like this.
  19. Acesheart

Hey newmember, I've never thought about before now. I've take Cimetidine.and Tagamet for ulcers, never once has it crossed my mind that it could possibly be a helpful tip for ob's. I have bleeding ulcers I've had them way before getting herps. My first outbreak was horrific!. I've only had two, but never linked that success to my ulcer meds. Until this thread was started, I looked on webmd.com, sure enough I saw where it mentioned Cimetidine for herpes outbreaks. Take care, Ace :)
  20. newmember111

I recently got a small ob in the form of one small blister and redness around it. I'm going to up my dosage to the recommended amount of 3x 200mg and 400 mg at night to see where it goes. I don't anticipate side effects from this.