1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

where did herpes originate?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ThisSucks, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ThisSucks

ThisSucks Active Member

Anyone know where Herpes originated? I think syphillis comes from sheep, so where/what the hell did Herpes come from?
  2. SpiceChick26

SpiceChick26 Newbie

Now that's a damn good question! I know it's been around like forever. But, I have no clue as to where it originated.
  3. ThisSucks

ThisSucks Active Member

ive tried looking it up online but I cant find anything good. If anyone has read about it in a book or anything Id be interested to know! lol :)
  4. Pat

Pat Newbie

Well, the virus itself has been in existence since at least the times of the Ancient Greeks (the word itself originates from the Greek language). Were there any biblical references to herpes?
  5. ThisSucks

ThisSucks Active Member

lol I dont know, I just want to know if we can blame men for screwing sheep or what ;) :lol:

I am just curious as to where it stemmed from.
  6. tohealth

tohealth Active Member

I strongly believe that herpes came from men, from some act of bestiality, in all likelihood. Women always have the option to have sex with a human at any point in their lives---even if the woman is retarded. Men dont. That's why men who can put a part of their body with a mucus membrane inside of something else are a good vehicle for viral migration from one species to another (granted, we can all do this with our mouths, but men can do it with their mounths and genitals).

This 'theory' is consistent with the fact that herpes affects women far more severely than it affects men (meaning women were less likely to have successfully been the 'originators'). And I think this is true for STDs in general. If a woman never took a bath from birth to death, her vagina would still be clean because of the low pH or acidity. Men have to actually wash their penises to remove foreign 'microbes'. (my science head took over in this post...)

Interesting question.
  7. sleepy

sleepy Member

^ thats the stupidest thing ive ever read on this board.

Im pretty sure you're full of shit with everything you post.
  8. tohealth

tohealth Active Member

Some facts and risk factors potentially of interest regarding STD origination and transmission, and reasons that STDs are not primarily spread by women, and are diseases whose earliest contractions were unlikely to have been instigated by collective female behavior (references follow). Also, because HSV infection imparts greater susceptibility to other STD infection (most seriously, HIV) below are included some statistics and observations about different HIV transmission rates across gender, in case they are of interest:

1. It is physically harder for women to spread STDs to men than vice versa;
    2. age is a risk factor for STD contraction and subsequent transmission, and men are generally older than the women with whom they seek to have sex and, therefore, men bring a statistically longer accumulated disease history to the sexual encounter than do women, on average;
    3. physical mobility is a risk factor for disease contraction (STD as well as non-STD) and historically, extensive occasions of all-male groups of early explorers, colonizers and settlers whose mobility across seas and into expansive new territories frequently correlated with new disease introduction, contraction?and when they returned to their native land, transmission and dissemination (see anthropological reference below);
    4. the number of sex partners had is a risk factor for STD contraction and subsequent transmission, and compared to men, women generally have fewer sex partners over a lifetime;
    5. STDs generally have worse complications in women than in men (therefore, women are more likely to drop out of the sexually active population due to illness or even death associated with several STDs: death from cervical cancer originating from HPV infection; death from HSV encephalitis from which women suffer disproportionately more than men; death from HIV infection which women contract from men at an extremely higher frequency as compared to that of mens' contraction of HIV from women, as examples. These women are therefore no longer available to infect anyone else.) ;
    6. men become sexually active at an earlier age than women, on average;
    7. men can infect women with STDs through rape;
    8. girls are more likely than boys to be sexually molested;
    9. hygiene (in particular, hand hygiene) is a risk factor in viral and bacterial transference and infection and men have direct hand contact with their genitals (daily contact; there are testimonials in the forum by some men who believe they have infected their hands or fingers with herpes by the hand contact they have had with their genitals. While possible with women, the stronger argument for a relatively higher hand-genital contact, resides with males.), compared to women who rarely require direct hand contact with their genitals.

"Women are 3 to 4 times more likely than men to become infected with herpes when exposed to the virus. A potential explanation for this observation is the higher efficiency of HSV-2 transmission from men to women as compared with that from women to men. ?
    http://www.healthandhope.com/info/women/worse_for_women.jsp?checked=y

?Women may be more susceptible to genital herpes infections because: The genital area has a greater surface area of cells moist with body fluids (mucosal cells) than men.?
    http://dermatology.about.com/cs/genitalherpes/a/genherp_women.htm

?Women may be more susceptible to genital infections because of the following: Women's genitals are internal and men's are external.?
    http://www.healthandhope.com/info/women/worse_for_women.jsp?checked=y

?Syphilis, it seems, developed in the New World from yaws, perhaps 1,600 years ago, and was waiting for Columbus and his crew.?
    http://www.archaeology.org/9701/newsbriefs/syphilis.html

It?s long been known that HIV, for example, is overwhelmingly spread by infected men vs. women. In one reputed study, the American Medical Association reported transmission rates for men and women of 20% and 1.4% respectively. I.e., women are 1,428% more likely to contract HIV from men, than men are likely to contract it from women. And it gets worse: ?The authors of the study said that the actual risk to women may be considerably higher than what they calculated from their data. The one woman in the study who passed the virus to a partner -- her husband -- was also in a "swinging singles" club. She and her husband told interviewers that in the previous five years, she had thousands of sexual contacts with hundreds of men which, the report said, may have increased her ability to pass on infections to her husband. In addition, she and her husband both reported genital bleeding during sex together and told investigators she often had sex with the husband immediately after sex with another man.?
    http://www.aegis.com/news/sc/1991/SC910904.html

?Part of the reason for the rapid increase is that it is physically easier for women to get HIV through intercourse than it is for men to get it from women.?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/23/health/main657210.shtml

?In many parts of the world, stressing marriage and long-term monogamous relationships doesn't protect women from AIDS because [of rape incidents] they are unable to control whether they have sex.?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/23/health/main657210.shtml
    http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2001/1213/fe20-2.html
  9. damaged_goods

damaged_goods Newbie

HOW H GOT STARTED...

It's been around since the begining of time...
  10. hopefully

hopefully Member

virii in general date back to the begining of the time. Herpes virus however are thought to be the renegade straind of DNA that broke off from a whole cell possibly.

Well that's the theory anyway.

I'm willing to bet the original herpes virus was an extremely hazardus virus that killed countless pre-human apes/animal. Like any good pathegin it has to come to an equalibrium with its host. Somewhere alongn the line there had to have been a compromise between killing its host and viral reproduction. End result is what we have today.

As soon as we were born we start the struggle against the microbes. We all eventually lose in due time and die. Only viable defense againt virus is reproduction and procration shuffling our genes every generation. it is the only defense we have against the microbes.

Instructions on how to lead day to day life without exposing yourself to potential risks have been well documented in of all the places, the BIBLE. Maybe God knows a tineee weee bit more than we do huh? Only if we'd listen....

IMO
  11. damaged_goods

damaged_goods Newbie

Sound Familiar???

Psalm 38

O Lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.

There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.

For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.

My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.

I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.

For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.

Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee.

My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.

My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.

They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.

But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.

Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.

For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.

For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.

For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.

For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.

They also that render evil for good are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good is.

Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.

Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.
  12. blackkitty

blackkitty Newbie

The bible didn't help the dinosaurs.

Every religion has some "warnings" about life. The people that put the religious texts together did not have medical technology or science to understand the things we do now. When it rained they said god made it rain...they didn't know anything about climate or anything. When an object fell on the ground they said god made it so everything would stick to the ground. Now we know its gravitational force.

The religious books that people wrote were simple stories that are exaggerations of what took place and were collected and passed on. Kosher, no-pork for muslims, etc, were ways to prevent people from dying as unprepared meats in the warm climates brought on food poisoning. They didn't know what food poisoning was just that if meat was prepared in a certain way people got sick and/or died. Now we know what viruses are and how they spread thanks to scientific technology.

But what we lack is adequate health care and education to prevent these viruses from spreading as they are today. Until I got HSV-2 I had no idea how common it was (20-30%) and how common it will be by the year 2025 (40-50%). In 3rd world countries today its even more prevelant (50%). I can only imagine what it will be like if you are poor and lived in the 3rd world by the year 2025 (70%). On top of that they dont have access to expensive anti-virals like some of us do. An HSV infected person becomes more likely to become infected with HIV.

My body absorbed the virus like a sponge. I have it on my genital area...lower stomach/pelvic region...hands...throat. Thankfully its not on my face (probably have HSV-1). Every area that I came in contact with the GF's vaginal bodily fluids became an entry point for HSV-2. The GF had no idea she had the virus until it attacked me.

When governments pore more money into military spending than social services what we have is corrupt and unjust system which only benefits the rich and healthy. George A. Romero's Land of the Dead is a perfect example of our society.
  13. DQ4U

DQ4U Member

Well said!
  14. GymMonster

GymMonster Member

15. Outsiderinfo

Outsiderinfo Newbie

Hello

Im browsing through net learing all kinds of different stuff and stumble over this site. I believed at one point Herpes came from monkeys. Now think again but rationally. Open your minds and think like an educated person. Ok, first off Syphillus (sp?) It was made through govt. experiments. I read about clinton helping people in some southern states, mainly blacks over this desease. He apologized and explained. Don't believe me search it. "Btw im not racist or against our govt in anyway, just sharing knowledge." As far as AIDS hers a link from the CIA full of conspiracys, it even mentions coutry's sending aids filled condoms to other country's! Insane and probably to heavy for some but its a good read for knowledge. As of Herpes im still on the search, which is how i found you guys. I would know think it's made by scientist along with HPV and its mass of different kinds. CIA link for AIDS is below, this will help open your mind, farm animals and monkeys! I was once a sucker too.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol53no4/soviet-bloc-intelligence-and-its-aids.html
  16. Outsiderinfo

Outsiderinfo Newbie

17. lovebug

lovebug Active Member

Herpes pre-dates humans.

It is considered a benign persistent virus, and like many other benign persistent viruses, it has learned to co-evolve with its hosts. Some have theorized that we haven't even begun to tap into what these benign persistent viruses could do for us.

On the particular topic of herpes simplex - the reason we're all here on this board - it has been theorized that it used to be just one virus, but as human sexual practices evolved, the virus split into two zones. I think that's pretty fascinating.

I also find fascinating that they are now finding ways to engineer herpes and use it to fight cancer. I've asked others to explain elsewhere on this board why they can engineer it to fight cancer but not to be a vaccine... but whatever. The point is, I find it fascinating that science/medicine/we have found a way to make this virus work for us. Not that I'm big into military (in fact, not at all) but it's kind of like rounding up renegade mercenary soldiers and using them to fight our wars.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    chooseyourbattles likes this.
  18. rethink49

rethink49 Newbie

very interesting...
  19. ihopekanyegetsherpes

ihopekanyegetsherpes Newbie

LOL! wow

sooo i was just trying to get the facts on where herpes originated and i seen this post, and i lol'd pretty hard, it was good shit, sooo i made a profile, with the most humorous name that it would let me put, and so yeah, kthxbyelul
  20. kaminianseo

kaminianseo Member

WOmen have a choice about having sex but men don't? now that's a new one!