1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

face cold sore with upper lip swollen (2x normal size)

Discussion in 'Herpes Symptoms' started by Frogger7, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Frogger7

Frogger7 Newbie

I had a cold sore on my face/lip a couple days back, that overnight added lip swelling on area around the cold sore. Corner of lip is swollen to 2x it's normal size.

Went to regular doctor and he diagnosed as herpes, and asked if I've been kissing anyone new lately. I'm having a tough time with this diagnosis, since no I haven't been kissing anyone. Wife and I are happily married for 18 years, both christian, and not looking.

In past, I have experienced canker sores (inside mouth) occasionally, and a dental assistant from way back called it a 'herpes sore' which kind of shocked me at the time.

Do you experts agree that this lip swelling in addition to the cold sore are likely Herpes or could they have misdiagnosed this? I also have been a little run down, with allergies, and also experienced swollen neck glands recently.

I've been reading lots online and the swelling like I'm seeing doesn't show up in facial pictures. Having a tough time with believing this is what I actually have. My wife gets regular cold sores from time to time, but we never labeled it Herpes. Is it possible we both have this virus, and just now it exploded into this swollen lip symptom? Other ideas?
  2. ouch

ouch Well-Known Member

COLDSORE=HERPES.
    Coldsore and fever blister is the "nice way" of saying you have herpes simplex 1. Most people in the WORLD have herpes simplex 1 and you can get it from kissing your wife, your mother, your friend, your grandma.....it is fairly easy to spread it, probably in part because people for so many years have not associated coldsores with herpes. They are one in the same.

If you have had coldsores in the past, then you have had herpes simplex 1 for a long time. Why it is so swollen this time is hard to say, sometimes they can just be extremely virulent for no real reason. If this is your first cold sore/herpe outbreak, then that would explain why it is so bad/swollen/puffy.

Coldsores have often been called "fever" blisters because many times we tend to get an outbreak during a flu....and with the immune system wore down fighting another virus or bacteria, then the herpes virus is like YAHOOOOO!!! time to party, and folks tend to get higher outbreaks then.

Stress can cause you to have outbreaks. Something amuck in your diet can cause outbreaks. Caffeine, nuts, lack of exercise ....all these things can trigger an outbreak. Try to figure out if you have changed anything recently, maybe in your diet or something, that could have caused this outbreak.

I would also take some extra vitamins right now. C, b complex and some lysine can help. keep it good and clean with basic old hydrogen peroxide. Should help dry it out. Don't kiss anyone else....grandma, kids, neighbor....wife already has coldsores, so chances are you have already passed it onto one another, no biggie. After you touch the sore, be sure to wash your hands really welll so not to spread the infection to your eyes.

Other than that....all I can say is that the lip swelling is just from the herpes/coldsore. And that the two are one in the same. Try some nice ice on the swelling too, that might help.

Canker sores are NOT coldsores/herpes and not related at all. However you CAN get coldsores on the inside of your mouth and on your tongue. Rare, but does happen.

hope this information helps. I am sorry you have been so misinformed over the years, but this seems typical with medical/health professionals. THEY don't even know what the heck they are talking about, how can WE learn anything from them?!?! And I think kids should be taught in school (health class!) about herpes...perhaps this too would help in the prevention of the spread of the virus.

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. Do the ice and the hydrogen peroxide to clean it. Then once it starts to dry out, put a nice ointment on your lips like caramex. I love that junk!
  3. Frogger7

Frogger7 Newbie

Thanks for the reply. The doctor prescribed Valtrex pills, which I have taken for almost 48 hrs. Swelling coming down finally. Wife was calling me the elephant boy the other day. I tried ice before even going to the doctor, but that didn't seem to help. I have also been using caramex on it also. Some of your other ideas, I read on websites (vitamins, aminos). I'll have to get some of those. Hopefully I won't have this swelling like that again. Didn't want to leave the house!

I guess I should have went off on the doctor, based on his snide comments, based on how many people get this from whatever source. Seemed like he was looking down his nose at me in quite a judging way. I also didn't ask enough questions in the doctor's office about how long these Valtrex pills would take to affect the swelling. At 6 pills for $30 ($5 each), I would have thought it would work fairly quickly. Maybe I should invest in this company.