1. To search, chat and ask questions, please join us (it's free) or log in.

How many days can you take Valtrex?

Discussion in 'Herpes Treatment Zone' started by greatday, Nov 4, 2009.

1. greatday

greatday Member

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I was prescribed valtrex three days ago in the emergency room for a miserable outbreak (only my second and I was diagnosed three years ago HSV1) in my cervix and on my vulva. I have now used up the three days scrip but I am still having sores and pain.
    I have a refill for the valtrex. what i want to know is can you keep taking it longer than 3 days? I have been taking 2 (500 mg) tablets a day. I don't have a doctor to call and I don't want to sit in emergency for 8 hours again:-D
    I asked the pharmacist if i could refill and keep taking it and she said well it depends on what your treating.
    I don't know what she means.
    Have any of you taken Valtrex longer than 3 days? Also, is it safe..I mean is it one of those drugs we're going to see on commercials with lawyers asking us to sue in a few years???
    I hate meds. If i don't take the valtrex will the herpes go away on its own?
    What is the normal amount of time for a herpes outbreak to last. I am on my 10th day...is this normal?
    Thank you for any help.
  2. ntdc

ntdc Well-Known Member

people on suppressive therapy take 500-1,000mg daily, this is a common dose but you might want to check with a doctor first just in case. you can probably call the hospital and schedule an appt or talk to the prescribing doctor.
  3. JBnATL

JBnATL Staff Member Super Moderator

I have taken anti-virals for years with no problems

When I am dating someone I take 400 mg of Acyclovir (cheaper versus Valtrex) daily. I have been doing so for years with no side effects.

Walmart carries Acyclovir for $4 for a 90 prescription.

Good luck!

JB
  4. justmyself

justmyself Active Member

My doctor prescribed 1 gram Valtrex tablets 2 times a day for 10 days when I had my first outbreak. My boyfriend got the same exact dosage. I would definitely ask for a higher dosage.